ZON BASSES

PUCKBOY99

• Members

Well, I'm selling a guitar & listed it as "will trade for a bass/bass equipment" & a guy is offering a Zon to me.

Apparently, a guy local to him offered it to him in a trade for a guitar HE is selling....he originally turned it down, but then saw my ad & asked if it'd be something I'd be interested in.

I've HEARD of Zon's before & the reviews are pretty mixed here on HC, depending on the model.

Anything I should look for or ask?

He's getting back to me today with pics & the particulars, so right now, I'm dealing in generalizations until I get more info on the model etc etc.......so whatever you can tell me is appreciated ! :thu:

• Members

Well, I'm selling a guitar & listed it as "will trade for a bass/bass equipment" & a guy is offering a Zon to me.

Apparently, a guy local to him offered it to him in a trade for a guitar
HE
is selling....he originally turned it down, but then saw my ad & asked if it'd be something I'd be interested in.

I've HEARD of Zon's before & the reviews are pretty mixed here on HC, depending on the model.

Anything I should look for or ask?

He's getting back to me today with pics & the particulars, so right now, I'm dealing in generalizations until I get more info on the model etc etc.......so whatever you can tell me is appreciated !
:thu:

what model is it? There is a big difference between the top and bottom end models.

• Members

I'll let ya' know when he gets back to me.....he thinks it's a Sonus, but doesn't recall anything else other than "it's pretty" :mad::love::mad:

In reading the reviews, the Sonus 4 gets lotsa love.....the Sonus 5 seems to be a dog.....Not sure how they went so wrong there, but....

I'd prefer a 4-string mainly because I have smaller hands, but a 5 isn't out of the question.

We'll see................

• Members

I'll let ya' know when he gets back to me.....he thinks it's a Sonus, but doesn't recall anything else other than "it's pretty"
:mad::love::mad:

In reading the reviews, the Sonus 4 gets lotsa love.....the Sonus 5 seems to be a dog.....Not sure how they went so wrong there, but....

I'd prefer a 4-string mainly because I have smaller hands, but a 5 isn't out of the question.

We'll see................

Sonus 4 and 5 of the same models should be the same, aside from the obviously difference in string numbers.

I have a Sonus Custom 5. It's very bright, punchy tone. It's got a fairly thin neck, but not super thin, and it extremely playable.

• Members

I've played fretted and fretless Sonus 5's, and they were both excellent. The natural frequency response of the bass is a little mid-humped, which some don't like for fretted instruments, but it makes for a great fretless sound. Either way, it'll help you cut through the mix.

• Members

Zon's kick ass. Don't pay attention to reviews.

+1:thu: However the seller seems bizzarely sketchy about the bass. "It's pretty"???!! WTF!

I"ve owned a Sonus 4 fretless and a _______(what's the name of his first line? Lord, my memory!) 5 string fretted which had one Lane Poor MM5 closer to the bridge than the neck as spec'd by me. Ah! Lane Poor Pups! One of the best!

You don't even want to know what happened to that $3000 puppy- or rather, I don't want to go into it now, thank you very much:cry:

• Members

I've played fretted and fretless Sonus 5's, and they were both excellent. The natural frequency response of the bass is a little mid-humped, which some don't like for fretted instruments, but it makes for a great fretless sound. Either way, it'll help you cut through the mix.

EXACTLY me sentiment with Zons. ....regarding the fretted vs. fretless.

• Members

Proud & happy owner of a Sonus 5 here. The low B string is very solid and clean and I love the composite neck.

Zon does a fair amount of customization so it's a good a idea to look at the indivual bass and see if you like it. Mine happen to have Bartolinis with stacked volume and tone controls.

Archived