Need a new set-up. Please throw me some input

Mooska

• Members

So I'm a guitarist that quit bass and now I'm coming back to join an established metal band, aka Beard The Lion. Anyways, I need a cab and a bass. Looking at a Schecter Stiletto 5 string. They make it with regular offset dot inlays and also a lined-fretless version. Which will should I choose? I'm feeling the fretless but if it's a bad idea for what I'm doing or lack of experience with fretless, say so.

Also, any suggestion of a good, tour reliable cab?

• Members

I'm not really familiar with Schecter's stuff. I think the fretless would be really cool; however, I'm not a fan of lined fretless basses. I just find that the fretless loses it's cool factor with the lines.

In your post you mention looking for a bass cab but not a head. What head are you using?

• Members

If you lack experience with a fretless, the time to learn isn't while touring with a new metal band.

I've been impressed with every Schecter I've touched, so I'd say you're on the right track there.

For the rig, will you have PA support or will you need the rig to carry the house? How big are the venues where you will be playing?

• Members

Personally, I'd stay away from the fretless as your first bass. You might not like the sound of it in a metal band context. Pick one up down the road when you think you'll actually need it.

Like the other guys have mentioned...what are you going to be using for a head and what size venues are you going to be playing? It's tough to recommend a cab without that info...

• Members

Buy a GK 1001RB + Genz Benz Neox212T - 1350 or so. And will rock socks.

Schecter Studio's are awesome metal basses and a great price. I'm dying to throw a moses neck on my CV-4.

Suggest checking out Spectors though, those are slick. And also don't overlook the MM. Sounds awesome with a pick.

Archived