So I went and bought a "new" poweramp from this guy on ebay

RoboChrist

• Members

The auction clearly states in huge blue font

BRAND NEW - FACTORY SEALED!!!

He was in my area, and after telling him on the phone, I went to the store for a local pickup. I made a point to go the next day unanounced :D

The first guy I meet...I tell him I'm here to pick up the amp. He quickly goes into the back room where I can hear him grabbing a box and the obligatory tear of the tape gun and then a minute later he brings out the "factory sealed unit" and proceeds to open the box as if the last minute never happened. I had to laugh.

So I check it over and it's a floor model...rack scrapes, dust, dings...it's too obvious. At least I got the warranty

Factory sealed my ass. This happens all too often in Canada, especially with the Quebecers for some reason. Sure enough the owner was a frenchie...I can smell the bull-merde a mile away. Friggin ice-frogs :mad:

• Members

You Canadians make me chortle- yuk yuk..:D

I went skiing two winters ago at Mount Tremblant. I'm skiing solo so I hook up with this guy who is from Ontario. Without me even opening my mouth to say "'Sup?" or "good snow, eh?"- he goes on a rampage about how much he hates all Quebecois! (sp?)

Cripes, I really could've cared less. As this ski area is an hour north of Montreal, all I could think before I finally chimed in was "damn, I wish I knew French (or the corrupted version of it , as spoken there);)

• Members

*snip*

Cripes, I really could've cared less.*snip*

Don't you mean could've cared MORE? If you read that...cared less implies that you actually cared about what he was talking about...to an extent that you could've cared a little less, but it was tolerable. ;) hahaha. Sorry, I HATE that phrase, it's not correct at all for how it's used.

Oh, and Piggy, your avatar scares me.

• Members

........I went to the store for a local pickup. I made a point to go the next day unanounced.......So I check it over and it's a floor model...rack scrapes, dust, dings...it's too obvious. At least I got the warranty.........Factory sealed my ass.

but you bought it anyway????

I hope you got a discount from the original auction price.....

• Members

That's because the actual phrase is "I couldn't care less" and people mistakenly hear it and repeat the mistake without thinking about it.

So true. I typically say screw it and just say, "I could care so much more" and people look at me all funny and go, "Don't you mean, 'I could care less'?" And then I have to go into a drawn on explanation...and it's never fun.

• Members

So true. I typically say screw it and just say, "I could care so much more" and people look at me all funny and go, "Don't you mean, 'I could care less'?" And then I have to go into a drawn on explanation...and it's never fun.

Holy smokes, you got me! :o

And as a classicist, I kind of pride my self on my grammar. Double negatives drive me crazy, and this was sort of the opposite but still related.

In ancient Greek you could use a negative as much as you want- in Homer I've seen three in one sentence- for emphasis, none of this -+-=+.

• Members

In ancient Greek you could use a negative as much as you want- in Homer I've seen three in one sentence- for emphasis, none of this -+-=+.

We assume it's for emphasis, that's the default answer for words we can't figure out what to do with otherwise...

"What is that particle doing there? I can't figure out how to work it in..."

"Yeah, um, it's just there for emphasis..." :D

• Members

I'm sorry you got screwed man. If the seller was honest, he would've labeled it as a floor demo instead of "new and factory sealed." You would've had every right to refuse the purchase or demand a different (new) amp. People lie about condition all the time on eBay, and it's really sad.

I sold a bass a month or two ago that didn't have any scratches, scrapes or dings whatsoever. Since it wasn't brand new (I'd had it for a couple years but never played it), I labeled it as in "very good" condition. The buyer got the bass and was ecstatic because it was (in his words) "even better than described!" I felt bad for him because he must have some lousy experiences for comparison. Here's what I've found to be true on eBay when people list condition of items...

"Like New" ... Dusty and full of smudges, could possibly pass for a new floor model at GC.

"Excellent" ... Dings and scratches, but no big gouges from an errant screwdriver.

"Very Good" ... Pretty beat up, but still functional

"Good" ... Fair. Could really use some work.

"Fair/Poor" ... Ready for the dumpster

• Members

I'm sorry you got screwed man. If the seller was honest, he would've labeled it as a floor demo instead of "new and factory sealed." You would've had every right to refuse the purchase or demand a different (new) amp. People lie about condition all the time on eBay, and it's really sad.

I sold a bass a month or two ago that didn't have any scratches, scrapes or dings whatsoever. Since it wasn't brand new (I'd had it for a couple years but never played it), I labeled it as in "very good" condition. The buyer got the bass and was ecstatic because it was (in his words) "even better than described!" I felt bad for him because he must have some lousy experiences for comparison. Here's what I've found to be true on eBay when people list condition of items...

"Like New" ... Dusty and full of smudges, could possibly pass for a new floor model at GC.

"Excellent" ... Dings and scratches, but no big gouges from an errant screwdriver.

"Very Good" ... Pretty beat up, but still functional

"Good" ... Fair. Could really use some work.

"Fair/Poor" ... Ready for the dumpster

Exactly..It was real amateur tactics at the store, and that just pissed me off more than anything. At least the price was reasonable, Crown K1 + warranty in "Excellent" condition...$875. :)

Archived