Troubleshooting Computer Problems

Apendecto

• Members

I'm working on my friends computer. It had all these viruses on it and it was slow as hell and didn't work very well. Over time it got worse and worse. Eventually it got stuck on the log in screen and would usually never get past that. A while later my friend tried to turn it on again but this time the monitor show nothing. Not even black, the power light goes green for a second and then it goes orange (off/standby). I've tested the monitor and it works and I've also tried another monitor. I figured it was the hard drive and he got a new one. Same old song and dance. I've tried booting with the XP disk in...still nothing.

What could be wrong? Bad video card? I'm lost.

Thanks.

Yo.

• Members

I believe it has. My buddy was running some set up to his TV as well.

The problem is I can't get to the settings or anything...I can't see anything.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, if I put a new hard drive in it, wouldn't that have no settings at all and should work?

Yo.

• Members

I believe it has. My buddy was running some set up to his TV as well.

The problem is I can't get to the settings or anything...I can't see anything.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, if I put a new hard drive in it, wouldn't that have no settings at all and should work?

Yo.

Hmmmmmmmm. One would think a new HD since it was used with duel would reset everything. Does the monitor work with a different computer plugged in? Maybe it's on the blink?

• Members

Hmmmmmmmm. One would think a new HD since it was used with duel would reset everything. Does the monitor work with a different computer plugged in? Maybe it's on the blink?

Monitor works great. In fact I'm using it now (on another computer).

Yo.

• Members

Make sure there isn't another connector for the monitor on the back. If you haven't changed anything it's the system. You can start by pulling out EVERYTHING except the MB, video card and processor and see if it beeps because of missing memory. Then start putting stuff back one at a time and see what screws you up.

• Members

It's a desktop. I can't get anything to show up on startup. I am guessing that it's not the power supply since I can feel the hard drive run, the fans work, the cd drive works, etc.

I get no beeps at all.

Yo.

A faulty power supply can still power up your peripherals. No beeps? Sounds more like the power supply issue. How old is this piece?

• Members

A faulty power supply can still power up your peripherals. No beeps? Sounds more like the power supply issue. How old is this piece?

It's like 3-5 years old. Any way to trouble shoot the power supply or is it more of, get a good one an if it works it's the problem? Multimeter?

Yo.

• Members

It's like 3-5 years old. Any way to trouble shoot the power supply or is it more of, get a good one an if it works it's the problem? Multimeter?

Yo.

I suppose you could take a multimeter. I just grab another power supply. :p

As mister said, it could easily be your motherboard, too.

• Members

Sounds to me like a peripheral card or the motherboard. Try this.

Remove all peripheral cards. Sound card, modem, ethernet card, video card, everything. Plug a different video card into the slot and see if it'll boot up. If not, I think the motherboard has had it. If it does boot, then one by one put the peripheral cards back in and see if the machine will boot starting with the original video card.

• Members

i saw a post on another forum where a chap builds computers regularly

once however he built one and couldnt get a beep

he checked the jumpers which were connected wrong...and had the pins connected incorrectly...pins 123 seem to be numbered in reverse..

dohhh..i'm lost..:(

• Members

i saw a post on another forum where a chap builds computers regularly

once however he built one and couldnt get a beep

he checked the jumpers which were connected wrong...and had the pins connected incorrectly...pins 123 seem to be numbered in reverse..

dohhh..i'm lost..
:(

It's pretty rare that you'll have to set jumpers or DIP switches on a motherboard anymore. Most of those functions are set in the BIOS these days.

• Members

It's pretty rare that you'll have to set jumpers or DIP switches on a motherboard anymore. Most of those functions are set in the BIOS these days.

might have got that terminology wrong...heres the article..this months mag.

ramzm6.jpg

its big and i hope you can read it

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5889/ramzm6.jpg

hopeless scan..sorry

• Members

might have got that terminology wrong...heres the article..this months mag.

ramzm6.jpg

its big and i hope you can read it

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5889/ramzm6.jpg

hopeless scan..sorry

I've installed a lot of motherboards from IBM, Intel, Abit, Iwill, MSI, Asus, etc and I've never seen one come out of the box with the CMOS jumper set in anything other than "normal" position. The "clear CMOS" jumper is there in the unlikely event that the BIOS goes completely stupid and needs to be reset. The CMOS (Complementary metal

Archived