Dead spots

Jamacuco

• Members

well,

if the bass has had a dead spot since it was new, chances are, that it will always be there.there are several things that can cause them that can be fixed( bad setup, bad fret job etc..) and then a couple of causes that can't.

gimme some more info on it and we'll see if we can figure it out. did this happen all of the sudden? gradually? any other dead or weak spots along the neck? is the bass a set neck, bolt on ? did you do any major hardware or setup changes to it before this occured?

• Members

The best things to do are to get a new set of strings on the bass. After that, a proper setup, including a neck adjustment is recommended. This has "cured" a few instances where I thought I had some dead spots.

Fender-style basses are prone to dead spots, as it's just a result of the design. Sometimes they are pretty bad, other times they are tolerable. For cases of the former, a Fat Finger can help:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Groove-Tube-Fat-Finger-Guitar-Sustain-Enhancer-420270-i1133389.gc?full_sku=420270.375&urx=1&source=4SOSWXXA

• Members

I'm just curious, but what part of the design causes them to be prone to dead spots?

From what I've read different woods have different vibrational characteristics. A dead spot is a place on the neck where all the string vibration gets completely absorbed so there is no resonance. To get rid of it you need to move it and the way you move it is by changing the vibrational characteristics of the neck.

370869jpg.jpg

I've read another way is to drill small holes in the back of the headstock and insert brass plugs. This does the same thing as the fat finger.

• Members
I'm just curious, but what part of the design causes them to be prone to dead spots?

I've always read that the main cause was the gluing of the fretboard to the neck, low glue saturation or not clamped right causes a weak bond in spots; in turn hindering resonance in that area. I'd imagine a fret not being set too well would cause the same. More than likely theres quite a few things that will cause a deadspot.

• Members

I had a beautiful 2001 MIA P-bass natural ash and rosewood neck. It had plenty of mojo and I liked it a lot except for the dead spots in the traditional 5th and 7th fret postions on the D & G strings. String changes and set-up variations didn't help so I eventually sold it.

I have two Fender J's (a MIJ fretless and a 50th anniversary Jazz Deluxe) that don't have the problem at all. They're pretty even across and up and down the necks.

3rd fret of the 4th string? Are you saying your low "G" is a dead spot? You kinda really need that note on a regular basis.

If you've ruled out all string and set-up issues, I'd pass it along.

• Members

to the original poster, i would check neck relief on both sides of the neck. my dead spot on the E string was caused by a slight twist of the neck after leaving the strings off of it for 24 hours. i had to let off the truss rod some and grab the headstock and twist from the treble side out. re-setup whole bass and i was back in business.

that or get a $3000 bass guitar.

NEVER gets old!
:D

it kinda does. esp when you are frustrated with an instrument and cant figure it out. posting sexy basses with arrow straight necks suck. :lol:

• Members

it kinda does. esp when you are frustrated with an instrument and cant figure it out. posting sexy basses with arrow straight necks suck.
:lol:

I'm tellin' ya man, I do not miss having to do setups at all. I realize everyone can't be so lucky, but, yeah. :)

Modulus could make you a VP tho? I'm sure of it!

• Members

Their "VJ" stands for "Vintage Jazz."

I'm sure you could get a "VP", or "Vintage Precision".

ooh yeah, i just recently saw they makes basses like that. id love modulus at some point in time. two of my all time favorite bassists play them; mike formerly of phish and phil of the dead. maybe someday.

Archived