Dead spots

Jamacuco

• Moderators

Traditional deadspots are caused by destructive interference caused by resonance.

Here is a post where I respond to hasbeen on the topic at talkbass: deadspots.

There are other causes, such as improperly driven frets, high/low frets, etc. These other causes are not the traditional "deadpots" but the effects are similar.

Every bass has one or more deadspots. The only question is whether you notice or care.

• Members

The bass having this dead spot is my Fender Custom Aerodyne.

I haven't been able to take a closer look to the neck or try it with a new set of strings but I can say the dead spot is VERY noticeable. The G note on the 3rd fret of the E string simply vanishes. I haven't noticed any other dead spots (or at least that noticeable).

I will be visiting my luthier soon to see if he can come up with something. So far my options are getting a fatfinger or selling one of my basses and loading a Status JazzBass replacement neck. Graphite necks are incredible when it comes to perfect piano-like tone on every spot. My Status Series II is great at that.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to keep you posted on the news and solutions!

• Moderators

I haven't been able to take a closer look to the neck or try it with a new set of strings but I can say the dead spot is VERY noticeable. The G note on the 3rd fret of the E string simply vanishes. I haven't noticed any other dead spots (or at least that noticeable).

That is an odd position for it to happen. Fender basses typically exhibit their deadspots on the G string between the 4th and 6th frets. I'm guessing this is a "curable" issue.

• Members

That is an odd position for it to happen. Fender basses typically exhibit their deadspots on the G string between the 4th and 6th frets. I'm guessing this is a "curable" issue.

Thanks! I also found it very odd. I will work on it and see what comes up.

Archived