solid state amp pic and info thread

Trauma_Luna

• Members

show me your solid state amps and tell me about them

480678.jpg

this is mine but im not really happy with it.. its perfect to practice and studio but it doesnt work good when im playing in a band.. i bought it 3 years ago when i started to play.. so i want to know more about solid state amps before i get a tube amp.. damn i feel GAS :freak:

• Members

GK_BagEnd_Stack.jpg

This is mine. It's an 80's GK 800RB, and I love it. It's got a little hiss, but that will soon be sorted. It's a great amp for sure.

GB_Stack.jpg

This is also mine, a Genz Benz GBE600. It a hybrid (SS power amp, selectable SS or tube pre), and I love that too. They're both great at what they do, and I'd gladly recommend either.

• Members

I use my oldest solid state amp (Trace Elliot GP7SM 200) and Fender 1x15 bottom as a rehearsal rig, because I know I can leave it at someone else's house and it won't get wrecked/stolen/noticed.

trace_115.jpg

I like to take my Ampeg PortaBass 228 to smaller jams and questionable auditions, as it's pretty loud for its size (200W, 2x8" speakers), yet small and light enough to pick up and carry away in a hurry.

PBC228.jpg

• Members

i dont know how to explain what kind of tone i want.. i have no words to descrive it.. but it seems like a funky style with low meds, highs and groove..

i dont know how to explain it technically..

Any particular bassist have a sound similar to what you're looking for?

• Members

GK_BagEnd_Stack.jpg

This is mine. It's an 80's GK 800RB, and I love it. It's got a little hiss, but that will soon be sorted. It's a great amp for sure.

GB_Stack.jpg

This is also mine, a Genz Benz GBE600. It a hybrid (SS power amp, selectable SS or tube pre), and I love that too. They're both great at what they do, and I'd gladly recommend either.

Very cool :thu:

bpo - I own a GBE600 and 2 Bag End cubes (1 w/coax tweeter). I'm interested in how your 212 GB cab compares to the Bags? (through the GBE600, of course) A fair comparison might be difficult, though, considering that it looks like you have a single Bag End cube to compare against 212...

• Members

Very cool
:thu:

bpo - I own a GBE600 and 2 Bag End cubes (1 w/coax tweeter). I'm interested in how your 212 GB cab compares to the Bags? (through the GBE600, of course) A fair comparison might be difficult, though, considering that it looks like you have a single Bag End cube to compare against 212...

Hey bz, I only have one Bag End to compare to, but here goes: Volume aside, the GB to my ears sounds smoother with more of a low end emphasis while the BE sounds punchier with a bigger emphasis on the mids. Nothing extreme enough that you couldn't eq one to sound much like the other, but definitely noticeable. I'm very tempted to pick up a second S15-D and compare the two again. They're both excellent cabs though, and I'd be happy with either one.

• Members

Any particular bassist have a sound similar to what you're looking for?

i would like to have two different tones.. well when i play with Entre Muertos, my band i like to sound like paul d amour or justin chancellor, but when i play in the other band where we play funk and fusion jazz i like to sound like vic wooten or larry graham..

• Members

i would like to have two different tones.. well when i play with Entre Muertos, my band i like to sound like paul d amour or justin chancellor, but when i play in the other band where we play funk and fusion jazz i like to sound like vic wooten or larry graham..

Try the GK1001rbII, or even the 700rbII. For metal, it can be dialed in to cut through, for funk it can be dialed in to thump nicely in the low-mids. I've used mine for metal, alt rock, blues rock, funk, pop and reggae, and I've always been able to find a useful tone with very little tweaking. For everything besides metal, I just set it flat with the contour off all the way, and the presence up to 50%.

C7

• Members

Try the GK1001rbII, or even the 700rbII. For metal, it can be dialed in to cut through, for funk it can be dialed in to thump nicely in the low-mids. I've used mine for metal, alt rock, blues rock, funk, pop and reggae, and I've always been able to find a useful tone with very little tweaking. For everything besides metal, I just set it flat with the contour off all the way, and the presence up to 50%.

C7

oh thank you i will look for this

:wave:

Archived