Anyone here use a Thunderfunk amp?

2tall

• Members

I do.

It rules.

Ask more specific questions and you'll get more specific answers. Otherwise just search my previous posts on the subject.
:)

How does it compare in tone to a GK?

Size and weight look similiar.

I know where I can get one at a fair price.

• Moderators

How does it compare in tone to a GK?

It has been over a decade since I've used a GK in a live band setting. It has been at least 5 years since I've used one to record. I've only had my Thunderfunk since spring of 2005, so take that into consideration when readin my comments.

The Thunderfunk is a very flexible amp. It has a warm and punchy base tone. It is no surprise that Dave Funk's favorite classic bass tone was the Dual Showman. I'm not saying this amp is exactly that, but there are similarities in tone. The EQ is unreal. The Enhance and the Timbre controls are supremely functional. There is a bass control, a treble control and several semi-parametrics that cover the entire spectrum. The gain staging of the amp is designed to never overdrive the power section. As a result the tone is identical from the lowest settings to the highest (bearing in mind the Fletcher-Munson curves that impact what we hear) and no hint of grit - ever.

Conversely, the GK amps are known for their overdrive characteristics. That is the GK grit or growl that people talk about. As a result, GK amps are more capable of a rawer sound. Within their linear ranges the two amps can be EQed to sound very similar, but so can most amps.

I prefer the tone and flexibility of the Thunderfunk amp, but there are also other reasons I choose to play a Thunderfunk. Dave is local to me and I really like to support local manufacturers when possible. Dave is also someone I can call or e-mail with questions about the amp. I recently pulled mine apart and did some component upgrades and Dave was available for questions the whole time. I also appreciate the manner in which Dave designs and improves his designs. Much like Genz Benz, he designs a quality product and then determines if a need exists and how to price the amp, not the reverse.

• Members

Do you have it right now?

If so, post your initial thoughts. Make sure you download the manual from the website if you don't have it already. It is well written.

Yes, and I have been comparing it to my GK 700RBII.

Both amps are comparable in size weight and power also.

Sounds similiar, but the TF gets a little more edge in the sound.

I guess it is easier to dial in the "modern" tone.

The EQ on the TF gives me way more control of the sound.

The Timbre control is a good feature.

I'm using my Stingray right now.

I'm going to try my Pbass and do the comparison some more.

I tried downloading the manual, but for some reason it would not load.

I emailed Dave and he sent me a copy on .pdf

:cool:

• Moderators

The Timbre control is a good feature.

Wait until you are on a gig, stage tone is awkward and you need to make a quick adjustment. That knob is magic. "I sound thin." One click left and it's perfect. "I'm too boomy." Once click right and it's perfect.

• Moderators

Man, I want a TF so bad I can almost taste it. It tastes kind of like...metal. Which is why I don't ordinarily lick my amps. But man I'd lick the thunderfunk. You bet your arse
:)

If you are ever in the area, I'll give mine a bath first and then you can give it a good lick.

Archived