OT : Anyone use FTP in IIS?

PaulyWally

• Members

I just set up a basic read-only FTP site in IIS (Windows 2003 server).

Every once in a while, the printer will spit out a piece of paper that says something along the lines of:

---------

FTP root at ftp.MyCompany.com

To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.

---------

Under that, is a directory listing of the FTP site.

To me, it seems like someone is trying to write to the FTP site (which can't be done in IE7 anymore - hence the message to open it in Explorer), and the server is logging that message to the server's default printer.

• Members

Weird, are those the only messages that get sent to the printer ?

You could try checking the properties of your FTP-site in ISS-manager, there should be a messages or logs tab IIRC, maybe reset the directory to store log-files.

All the log files seem to be set properly. But I'll reset them and see if that helps.

• Members

Is it connected to the internet? Perhaps someone is trying to get in.

Yep. And I fully expect people to TRY and get in. There are a ton of people out there who just scan ports for open FTP servers in an attempt to find some free storage on the internet.

What is weird, is that these messages are going to the printer.

I'll have to go into the logs and look more closely to try and figure out what's going on exactly.

• Members

It shouldn't be that difficult of a fix... There's gotta be a setting somewhere that prints off certain messages or errors by default.

Do you have printing disabled on all user/group accounts except for your own? I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but it's worth a shot. I just RC'd into a few of the servers here at work, but we have no need for ftp, so I couldn't really poke around much in the way of your specific question. I'd love to help but I'm not about to go installing ftp components on servers holding the entire office complex up just to jack around ;)

Archived