g.c. sale in toledo! gk 1001rbII amp head 499.00 used...

lumpy555

• Members

If your cab is not rated to at least the same output as the head you will slow burn the speakers. This is different from blowing them. It is slower. Ask anyone at GK, any GC guitar manager, or qualified tech in the world. I've sat in at multiple GK clinics. This is a fact. Actually I think it even says this in the owners manual.

I'm not a scientist but from what I've heard the siginal coming from the head, wether your playing loud or not will be too much for the speaker to return to the head. So the speakers themselves take on more "wattage" electricity wise, not volume wise, then they're supposed to. This leads to eventual ruin of the speakers. AGAIN this is different from blowing the speakers. It is called "SLOW BURN"

• Members

If your cab is not rated to at least the same output as the head you will slow burn the speakers. This is different from blowing them. It is slower. Ask anyone at GK, any GC guitar manager, or qualified tech in the world. I've sat in at multiple GK clinics. This is a fact. Actually I think it says this in the owners manual.

I'm not a scientist but from what I've heard the siginal coming from the head, wether your playing loud or not will be too much for the speaker to return to the head. So the speakers themselves take on more "wattage" electricity wise, not volume wise, then they're supposed to. This leads to eventual ruin of the speakers.

that is not correct... you can play a 700W cab through a 300W speaker and it will not damage it... you just cant turn the volume to full, obviously...

• Members

that is not correct... you can play a 700W cab through a 300W speaker and it will not damage it... you just cant turn the volume to full, obviously...

Tell that to the engineers over at GK. AGAIN SLOW BURN...not blowing the speakers with volume. Look into it b/f you arguee it.

• Members

Tell that to the engineers over at GK. They hold clinics at their retailers and the sales staff is told to make sure customers have the same rated cab. PERIOD. I wont argue about it, all I'll say is that GK says this is true.

there are endless threads about this subject. its a myth... search for them... or start a thread of your own in here, everyone will tell you its a myth... most of the people here own cabs that have less watt rating then their heads, and it doesnt damage the cabs. it is a myth.

• Members

i have a gb-600,so i am still seeking differt tones ,types,plus the gk gear seems easy to set up. is their amps usa made? just bi-curious...

i believe their amps are USA made, but even if theyre not, theyre of extremely high quality, and they have some of the greatest technical assistance in the industry... if you call them, there's even a very good chance of BOB GALLIEN THE MAN HIMSELF answering you the phone :)

• Members

i thought about 2 of the gk 4x10 cabs,the backline II series...

Hell, yeah. These are built well, tho Ampeg is better, if you go ampeg the 6x10 is built like 3 2x10's so the cab is sturdier then the 4x10 or 8x10. But either is good. The 8X10 is built like 2 4x10's.

• Members

Hell, yeah. These are built well, tho Ampeg is better, if you go ampeg the 6x10 is built like 3 2x10's so the cab is sturdier then the 4x10 or 8x10. But either is good. The 8X10 is built like 2 4x10's.

if you were still getting those after what i said above, i'd recommend getting two 410's instead of a single 810.... you have no idea in how much portability trouble you'll be in if you get a 810.... its horrible, although the sound sort of makes up for it...

• Members

If your cab is not rated to at least the same output as the head you will slow burn the speakers. This is different from blowing them. It is slower. Ask anyone at GK, any GC guitar manager, or qualified tech in the world. I've sat in at multiple GK clinics. This is a fact. Actually I think it even says this in the owners manual.

I'm not a scientist but from what I've heard the siginal coming from the head, wether your playing loud or not will be too much for the speaker to return to the head. So the speakers themselves take on more "wattage" electricity wise, not volume wise, then they're supposed to. This leads to eventual ruin of the speakers. AGAIN this is different from blowing the speakers. It is called "SLOW BURN"

:confused:

Other than purely anecdotal evidence, can you back this up somehow? There's no mention of this phenomenon in the GK owner's manual, and a Google search turns up nothing. Plus, your explanation of how this phenomenon occurs makes no sense electronically. The speakers in a bass cab almost never see the full output of the head over a period of any length, so if what you say is true, then we'd all be ruining speakers left and right.

"Underpowering" speakers does no damage-it's when you clip the power amplifier and send square-wave signal as a result of clipping that damages the speaker.

Anyway, for the OP, that's a good deal.

• Members

I'm not here to preach but I trust the industry pro's that I have personally spoken with, including designers and engineers at GK.

You're full of {censored}.:)

There's no way an "industry pro" would spout something that idiotic. If your "slow burn" phenomenon was even remotely accurate, people wouldn't still be playing the Ampeg fridges and Sunn folding horn cabs from the 60's and 70's, because the speakers would have slowly burned out over time.

A speaker is a very simple design, and as long as you don't overheat it catastrophically, drive it beyond its mechanical capabilities, or somehow demagnetize it, it will last a very long time. Regardless of overpowering. A 1000w amp is only going to put out a fraction of that under normal operating conditions, so you can get away with using a 200w speaker, as long as you don't crank the volume and cause it to distort. If the speaker isn't exceeding its mechanical limits (Xmax), or receiving an overvoltage, it won't be harmed or overheat.

Most of us here are overpowering our cabs with no ill effect, and I've never seen anyone mention your slow burn line of B.S. anywhere. Why don't you go float your theory over at Talkbass and see how long you last.:idea:

C7

• Members

My 1001 RBII was 589 new from guitar center a few years ago. Great amp

isn't there a web store that sells them for 599 new shipped?

anyway, you should get it. its the 5th or 6th best amp that i've ever used. tons of power. plenty of different tones.

Archived