Computer geeks please help me.

slapthefunkyfour

• Members

I'm at home today, so I'm stuck using my laptop. Weird things are happening. It keeps shutting down with no warning. This computer runs really hot for some reason. Its a pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 40 G 7,000 rpm hard drive running Windows 2000. I'm thinking that it is getting too hot and it shuts down to prevent it from over heating. Is there anything besides cleaning the heatsink and the cooling fan that I can do to help?

Thanks.

• Members

stick it in the frezer. cleaning might help. overheated prossesers can and will cause spontainious shut downs but so will 2000do you get the blue screen of death. could be a bad registry also.but if it's getting hot and shutting down it's probably a power issue can you run it with a wall wart.

• Members

stick it in the frezer. cleaning might help. overheated prossesers can and will cause spontainious shut downs but so will 2000do you get the blue screen of death. could be a bad registry also.but if it's getting hot and shutting down it's probably a power issue can you run it with a wall wart.

Thanks for the reply. I have never had any problems with this machine, no blue screen of death, no viruses, nothing. I'm gonna tear it apart and clean out all the dust, I just wanted to see if there was anything else that I should check out.

Thanks.

• Members

So I just got it back together with no extra parts!!!

I went and bought some of that canned air and cleaned everything. I couldnt believe the huge chunks of dirt and lint that had accumulated in the fans and the heatsink.

I also got one of these. It was on sale for $15.

NBcooler_S_install.jpg

and now the internal fan doesn't even turn on!!!

• Members

Yeah, the Pentium 4 will run very hot, throttle, and shut down if it doesn't have adequate cooling. There's a reason that very few laptops used them.

That's a true story. I have a pentium 4 - 2.2 GHz laptop and the processor often exceeds 90C if you're pushing it with a game or some other high demand application.... yikes!:freak:

• Members

that was going to be my first response- make sure the CPU fan is working. Next, clean it. One way to rule out an overheating issues is to have someone hold a vacuum cleaner nozzle up to the fan exhaust while you use it. If it doesn't shut down with the vacuum pulling massive amounts of air through it, then it's likely an overheating issue.

Archived