OT: The new iPod Touch

Phantasm

• Members

My wife bought me one of these for my birthday, and I've got to say that it's by far much neater than i expected.

It's got wifi built in with an amazing browser and interface that is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. It is fast and can do just about anything a PC can browser-wise. The zooming in and out and clicking links with your fingers is just the best.

Oh, and compared to my 4G 40GB iPod, it's got a much nicer screen and the gapless playback is awesome! I also like that I can browse through the album covers to pick what to listen to.

I would never have bought it myself, but I'm glad that my wife got it for me! I expected just another ipod and got a lot extra.

Anyone else got one yet? What do you think?

• Members

I have tried them, and the user interface is really well thought of. I like the thing, but I think I'll wait until the 2nd gen iPhone is released over here in Norway. That hopefully will have 32gb disk space, or more.

Yeah, that would be killer. I was trying to hold out until they had a smaller formfactor 30-60GB ipod to buy another one, but the touch is very neat. I don't think they're going to make any changes until sept. 2008 so I guess I'll have fun with mine while waiting for them to make a bigger one!

• Members

I think they're stupid. My roomie has one, and while it's neat, I'd only be able to use it regularly in big cities where wireless is readily available. After I move out of NYC, it'd be useless to me. I'd rather save and get an iphone.

If the touch had a camera, I'd be a lot more inclined to be into it. As it stands, it just seems like a neat little gimmick by apple. I'll stick with my ipod, thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I got one before christmas and love its convenience. There are so many wifi hotspots around Portland (hell the city is one big wifi zone now) that I can slip it out of my coat and check movie times, or weather, or directions or email just about anywhere.

I love my Touch.

• Members

Do they play mpgs and avi or do I have to convert all my rapidshare treasures to mp4?

I know a standard iPod will play mp3s as well as AAC files. Quicktime can read AVI files, so it should be able to play those back. Course, this is Apple we're talking about; might have to invest another $50 to get AVI compatibility!:eek:

• Members

My wife travels quite a bit and I bought her one for Christmas this year. She loves it, watches movies / tv shows on the plane and in the airport etc.

I was pretty impressed with it myself nice screen and great browser functionality.

• Members

i think its more useful than an iphone! they are pretty much the same thing? as in casing wise i understand the iphone can take pics even if they are really bad 1's

The iPod Touch gives you all the connectivity of the iPhone (minus the phone) for a cheaper price and without getting gouged monthly. :thu:

However, having it all in one device is impressive.

I'm going to get one (likely a touch) sooner or later, probably going to piggy-back onto the $100 price decrease for this holiday season.

Archived