String buzz question

BASSDAD

• Members

Just got a new bass in. :thu:The problem is the A string buzzes in open through the 5th fret. :mad:I 've rasied the saddles but the E string saddle is maxed out.

I just noticed that the E is strung through the body while the other 3 are strung at the bridge (it is set up for either or).

Could this be the issue?

It other wise plays and sounds great.

Thanks!

• Members

I've got two basses with that combo-bridge system. I tend to keep mine uniform (all on top, or all thru). I don't think that having one string thru would cause any negative effects. Really, the difference is mostly in how the strings respond when playing, I don't think it has much affect on the structural integrity of the bass.

• Moderators

Buzzing in open position suggests a nut slot that is too low or too wide. Buzzing in the first five positions suggests the neck it too flat, but not buzzing on the E, D and G strings in the first five positions suggests the problem is limited to the A string and isn't a neck relief issue. No buzzing past the fifth fret suggests it isn't a problem with the point of contact at the bridge.

You might have multiple problems, you might be sloppy in your setup, this one is hard to diagnose over the computer because there isn't a clear answer given by the symptoms.

Take it to a pro.

edit: I just read your PM and it made things a bit clearer. It sounds to me like the neck angle needs to be reset. Unless you are comfortable shimming it to reduce the pitch, take her to a pro.

• Members

Buzzing in open position suggests a nut slot that is too low or too wide. Buzzing in the first five positions suggests the neck it too flat, but not buzzing on the E, D and G strings in the first five positions suggests the problem is limited to the A string and isn't a neck relief issue. No buzzing past the fifth fret suggests it isn't a problem with the point of contact at the bridge.

You might have multiple problems, you might be sloppy in your setup, this one is hard to diagnose over the computer because there isn't a clear answer given by the symptoms.

Take it to a pro.

edit: I just read your PM and it made things a bit clearer. It sounds to me like the neck angle needs to be reset. Unless you are comfortable shimming it to reduce the pitch, take her to a pro.

Thanks. I'll do the pro thing as it is a neck thru and I wouldn't dare mess with the neck. Interstingly enough if I use a pick Ihave to hit it very hard to get it to buzz. But with fingers or thunmb it's pretty easy.

Also I opened it right after I got it from the fed ex guy and it was still cold. Maybe a day or so at room temp will help.

• Members

take it to a pro....

with the change of seasons, weather, etc.... the necks on cheaper basses or with slimmer necks have a tendency to bend alot...

That's what I'm going to end up doing. Drving the bass from the medwest to my kid out east. I just strted a tread lookning for techs out his way.

It might just be that it needs a good pro setup.

The place I ordered it from was shocked. They said they checked it before they sent it and was great. True but for the A string:mad:

I got another bass from then a while and :love: so I tend to believe them.

Fed Ex truck for 3 days, weather... taking it to a pro. Done!

• Members

Maybe I'm just being too picky cause it's for my kid. It buzzes unplugged. I couldn't plug it in last night cause I have live in a apratment building.

I just had a chance to plugit in I can't hear the buzz through the amp:)

.......but it shouldn't be there at all:mad:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll start with a setup.

Archived