OT : Windows Servers and Subnets

PaulyWally

• Members

Sounds like someone has their terminology screwed up. SBS 2003 does not support multiple domains, nor can it be installed as a "branch" server on an existing domain.

Thanks! That's what I thought. I just spent all yesterday upgrading a Windows 2000 domain to 2003 AD... and made SBS 2003 the operations/schema master. That was enough of a PITA. Then someone says, "Wait... we wanted to put our web server in a DMZ and we were told that SBS doesn't support multiple subnets."

I was like... ummm... OK... I never heard that. :confused: But I don't work with SBS all that much. It just didn't make any sense to me.

• Members

Thanks! That's what I thought. I just spent all yesterday upgrading a Windows 2000 domain to 2003 AD... and made SBS 2003 the operations/schema master. That was enough of a PITA. Then someone says, "Wait... we wanted to put our web server in a DMZ and we were told that SBS doesn't support multiple subnets."

I was like... ummm... OK... I never heard that.
:confused:
But I don't work with SBS all that much. It just didn't make any sense to me.

Holy {censored}, I AM good for something! :eek: Take that Mrs. Fitzwell! :cop:

• Members

It could be talking about the ability server 2003 has to act as a nat/router/switch/firewall with multiple nics, also. Maybe it can't do routing.

I don't think it's possible for there to be problems with a computer having IPs from multiple subnets. Believe alias IPs are accounted for by the router (e.g. whatever you have set as the default gateway on your nic will be the default gateway for all traffic on the same nic - unless you set up custom routing).

• Members

It could be talking about the ability server 2003 has to act as a nat/router/switch/firewall with multiple nics, also. Maybe it can't do routing.

I don't think it's possible for there to be problems with a computer having IPs from multiple subnets. Believe alias IPs are accounted for by the router (e.g. whatever you have set as the default gateway on your nic will be the default gateway for all traffic on the same nic - unless you set up custom routing).

Hmmm... since you say that... now it REALLY wouldn't make any sense.

I know that SBS 2003 supports (at least) 2 nics so it can be configured as a firewall/proxy. In that sense, it must support multiple subnets.

I didn't think about that before.

• Members

Server 2003 is perfectly capable of NAT routing and +1 on the second statement.

Archived