Alternative OS's

Derek5272

• Members

So, I've decided I want (once again) to try to get away from Windows. I've tried running Linux on 2 or 3 occasions before (can't remember what the first ones were, but Mint was the most recent attempt) but have always run into serious issues - mostly with wireless drivers. My computer is wired now, so I'm hoping I won't have networking problems again.

My question for you guys is, what's a good alternative OS that I can run on my PC? There's only 4 things I really need from it - Support for Hauppauge WinTV-Go-Plus (PCI TV card), my iPod (preferrably something that can somehow run iTunes so I can still access the store), and Logitech Quickcam Messenger, and an IM that I can talk to my MSN contacts with. I do know my way around a computer quite well, so it doesn't have to be stupidly easy to use, but the more user friendly, the better, of course. Thanks.

• Members

This has been the crux of my problems.

Specialty hardware I want to be able to use in my machine.

Pinnacle HDTV DVR recorder / cable box.

Wacom tablet pad (SuSe and Ubuntu had about 60% operation last I tried.. and I can't live without it)

Come on, it's easy.. just throw a bunch of files in usr/etc/bin/var/blahblahblah and do the very simple task of compiling or that "make" command.

• Members

Ubuntu 7.10 would probably be the easiest to get up and running, but I've had my fair share of issues with it. I think there's a good iPod-compatible music manager that's available for it, but I can't speak as to how a TV tuner would work with it.

Don't move away from Windows as a purely philosophical thing unless it's really important to you that everything you use on a computer be free of the evil tentacles of Microsoft. It isn't worth the trouble, IMO.

Allan over on eBassist would probably be of more help here.

Archived