i am the tread killer

jonathan_matos5

• Members

no seriously i need some new tires for my ride. ive got about 36k miles on them and its time to get some new ones.

the problem is the size is not readily available at the local automotive stores and tire shops so ill have to order them cheapest ive found was about $150 per tire:eek:

i need size 195 55 r 16 h

• Members

I think the question that begs an answer is what is the drag on your vehicle if you killed your tires after only 36k miles?

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? 36k is a lot for most tires, and unheard of for a tire with a performance compound.

• Members

Hmm... I think I'm currently using 195 60 15.... or 205 50 15... or something... Perhaps you should buy new wheels so you can get cheaper tires? That's what I did.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? 36k is a lot for most tires, and unheard of for a tire with a performance compound.

Wow. That's crazy. I would hate to have to buy new tires that often. I rotate every oil change and get way more mileage than that.

Yo.

• Members

I went through two sets of Toyo Proxes T1-S in, oh, about 30,000 miles back in my racing/auto-x days. I just stick to Continental Xtreme Contact all season tires for half the pricet now.
:D

What kind of car were you running?

• Members

i just went over 20k on my car and one of my tires is really worn. the outside quarter of it has no tread left. they have already been rotated too. maybe i just got a bad one?

If it's just outside edge, then you usually have negative camber.

• Members

OEM tires often only last around 30-35k, depending on the pricepoint of the car. My wife's CR-V only got 30k out of the stock Bridgestone Dueler HLs. We rotated every 5k, checked pressure regularly and the wear was even; just worn out at ~30k

the Pirelli P3000s are at 40k and still have ~40% life left.

Jonathan, use these calculators for looking at alternative sizes:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Based on your info, the 195/55/16 to 205/50/16 brings your choices much wider, and at Discount tire, the cost of the low end tires goes from $144 to $78 in my area. The difference in size is .39" wider and .37" shorter. Your speedo will read high by .9 mph at 60mph

• Members

it was the rear and is now on the front. does that matter?

Once again, if the wear is on the outside edge you have positive camber on whatever wheel it got that way on. This holds true on both the front and rear axles. Trust me, I know this from experience. As far as all the cars I work with, it is very unusual for a car to have positive camber.

It is also possible that it is not a camber issue at all, but something else.

• Members

no seriously i need some new tires for my ride. ive got about 36k miles on them and its time to get some new ones.

the problem is the size is not readily available at the local automotive stores and tire shops so ill have to order them cheapest ive found was about $150 per tire:eek:

Here ya go....

Falkiens for $88 @ Discount tire

Firestones for $87 @ TireRack

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=1&sw=false&cs=195&pc=18053&rd=16&ar=55

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+GTA+02&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=955HR6FHGTA02&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

I have bought tires from both. You can take them to a local installer and get them installed for about $15 ea. (I use Rally (Tirerack has there name and number))

Not a lot of choices for the size you need, but between those two The Falkens look a bit better.

• Members

What kind of car is it? I bet you could fit 205/50-R16's without any trouble. The difference in diameter is only 0.3 inches (24.4" for your OEM tires vs. 24.1" for the 205/50's).

You'll end up with a tire that's just 1cm wider overall (5mm on each side). You shouldn't have any rubbing problems with such a tiny difference.

As a point of reference, stock tire size on my BMW was 195/65-R14 but I run 225/50-R15 Toyo RA-1 competition tires. There is no rubbing whatsoever...even though my tires are a significant 3cm wider than stock and my car is almost 2" lower than stock.

Emre

• Members

No {censored}. I clock about 25K/yr.

I seem to average around 10-15K per year on my daily driver. The track car probably sees less than 5K per year, even factoring driving back and forth to and from events. However, 1-2K on the track probably puts more wear and tear on the car than 20K of year-round street use (not an exaggeration!).

Emre

• Members

What kind of car is it? I bet you could fit 205/50-R16's without any trouble. The difference in diameter is only 0.3 inches (24.4" for your OEM tires
vs.
24.1" for the 205/50's).

You'll end up with a tire that's just 1cm wider overall (5mm on each side). You shouldn't have any rubbing problems with such a tiny difference.

As a point of reference, stock tire size on my BMW was 195/65-R14 but I run 225/50-R15 Toyo RA-1 competition tires. There is no rubbing whatsoever...even though my tires are a significant 3cm wider than stock and my car is almost 2" lower than stock.

Emre

ive got a 2005 nissan sentra S-ER

sentra.jpg

Archived