Ric-O-Noise...where do I begin?

JacieFB

• Members

So, my Ric is being a bit noisy these days. It's a '90 4003. If it was a P-bass, I'd have the pickguard off in a second and I'd be checking everything. However, I'm a little nervous of cracking open this thing. By noise, I mean humming and buzzing.

Apart from checking to make sure connections are good, where do I start? Is it supposed to be grounded to the bridge? Could it be the ground? What else should I check? :confused:

Thanks!

• Moderators

The newer 4003s are grounded to the rear pickup mount assembly. I have a drawing here somewhere. Stand by.

How do the strings find a path to ground? Without grounded strings, the player won't be grounded. Without a grounded player, you have more electromagnetic interference than desired.

• Members

How do the strings find a path to ground? Without grounded strings, the player won't be grounded. Without a grounded player, you have more electromagnetic interference than desired.

So what you're saying is that my half-ass-essment of this could be the first thing to try...check the ground?

• Moderators

So what you're saying is that my half-ass-essment of this could be the first thing to try...check the ground?

Sorry, I was confused by the pics posted by jackcheez. Not by him, but by Ric. They always try to make things harder than needed. :idk:

I think you probably have a grounding issue. You might simply have a cold solder joint somewhere. You probably don't have a broken wire. Since your bass had been working fine without all this noise, just look to see if anything is loose or if any of the solder joints look dull instead of shiny.

• Moderators

The drawing is from them. I didn't design the thing.
:idk:

Yeah, I know. Not your fault. I hate calling up their tech department though, because when I call their answer always is, "yes, I know, that isn't a very smart way to do things, but I didn't design the thing..."

Archived