Driving To a Gig In a Snowstorm!

Givati

• Members

I've got to drive 60 miles in a snow storm today. I get off work at 2, go home, clean up, load up and be there by 4:30 for load in. In a freaking snow storm. :eek::eek: Wish me luck/pray for me (what ever you believe in;)) please.

Whar's your gig travel nightmare?

• Members

I've got to drive 60 miles in a snow storm today. I get off work at 2, go home, clean up, load up and be there by 4:30 for load in. In a freaking snow storm.
:eek:
:eek: Wish me luck/pray for me (what ever you believe in;)) please.

Whar's your gig travel nightmare?

Where you headed, Giv - and how was the service on Wed...

• Members

...I had a residency at this club I think it was 2 winters ago on Thursday nights, We started in January and it snowed I believe it was every Thursday night except like 2 nights for the first 3 months of that year, we only cancelled 1 night out of all of em, Then it was load out, drive home usually still snowing, get home at 3, sleep 2 hours, get up and go to work where I do snow removal in the winter.

...Just go slow, be safe, and play your ass off!!!

• Members

Where you headed, Giv - and how was the service on Wed...

Drivin from Denver to Fort Collins for an Christmas party. Really its the drive home that worries me. Especally if it keeps snowing.

The service was a typical service. You know, 3, 4 songs up front and one at the end. Wasn't very well attended for a mega church.They had the memorial service earlier that day. You might have seen some on the news. Apparently it was amazing. 2 and a half hours long with alot of worship.

• Members

Basically just go only as fast as you need to. Its not worth getting hurt or ruining your vehicle/equipment to get to a gig on time. Just leave early. Good luck and stay safe!

Yea, speed is the most important thing when snow driving for sure. I can't take my 4x4 cause it doesn't have a topper, so I have to take my wifes mini van. Front wheel drive though.

• Members

Good luck my man! I take it the gig won't be canceled because of the weather?

A long time ago the drummer (and driver for that night) got blitzed at a gig and threw the keys at me to drive home. About five minutes into the 30 mile drive consisting of narrow, hilly, two-lane country roads, a brake line blew out. White-knuckled that bitch all the way home on what felt like 10% of the normal braking power. What was I driving? A mid-80s GMC 14' cube van loaded to the hilt with all of our equipment and band members. :mad:

• Members

A long time ago the drummer (and driver for that night) got blitzed at a gig and threw the keys at me to drive home. About five minutes into the 30 mile drive consisting of narrow, hilly, two-lane country roads, a brake line blew out. White-knuckled that bitch all the way home on what felt like 10% of the normal braking power. What was I driving? A mid-80s GMC 14' cube van loaded to the hilt with all of our equipment and band members.
:mad:

Not Fun! I though you were going to say the drummer hurled in the van.

• Members

A long time ago the drummer (and driver for that night) got blitzed at a gig and threw the keys at me to drive home. About five minutes into the 30 mile drive consisting of narrow, hilly, two-lane country roads, a brake line blew out. White-knuckled that bitch all the way home on what felt like 10% of the normal braking power. What was I driving? A mid-80s GMC 14' cube van loaded to the hilt with all of our equipment and band members.
:mad:

Consider it a blessing that the drummer got blitzed......what if he'd been driving when the brakes gave out?!?!

• Members

I've had a few gigs the last few years either driving in a blizzard, or having one blow in part way through the gig.

There's nothing better than that first beer after a 2 hour white-knuckle drive to a gig. Of course, there's nothing worse than being on a break between sets and seeing the weather turn. :mad:

• Members

Yea, speed is the most important thing when snow driving for sure. I can't take my 4x4 cause it doesn't have a topper, so I have to take my wifes mini van. Front wheel drive though.

Meh.

I'd rather take my little BMW than a minivan any snowstorm o' the year:thu:

• Members

It used to be (when I had a Mustang) that I could only get anywhere in the snow if I had my bass amp and a monitor cab in the trunk.... that car had no weight at all on the back end, so I'd keep my rig in there for most of the snow season... No snow here in Vegas, it is cold, though (40's during the day and 30's at night....)

Archived