Way OT: Tell me about Columbus, OH

Spark

• Members

The Cleveland metropolitan area is far larger than Columbus because Columbus is in the middle of the farmland of central Ohio. But Columbus is a lot cleaner and newer than Cleveland. Check out http://columbus.backpage.com/musician/classifieds/Results?catagory=oid%3A4441&section=4380 for musicians notices. There's a blues site, too, down there.

• Members
He lives just south of downtown in German Village. I think it's a cool-ass neighborhood. One of the older, historic areas. Very safe, personal, and friendly, but has lost a little in recent years due to professional yuppification.

My wife and I actually stayed in the German Village for the HCBF Meet Bassplayer7770 hosted. It IS most def a cool ass neighborhood. :cool:
We loved the huge market as well as all the cool shops north of downtown towards the college. Columbus, overall, seemed like a nice town to us. I kinda prefered it over Cincy, but the wife dug Cincy better.

• Members

{censored} you!

:mad:

;)

Fair nuff.

I've good reason, though. Spent the first 18 years of my life in Youngstown, OH.. hated that.

Then, just this year, my best friend married a girl from southern OH, and he moved to be with her.. to Columbus (specificially Blacklick, OH)

She's a racist, homophobic, close-minded, Bush-supporting, hate-filled {censored} and I can't believe my best friend would marry that sort of thing. So i hate her, ergo Ohio.

Nothing personal. (but the weather still sucks)

• Members

Fair nuff.

I've good reason, though. Spent the first 18 years of my life in Youngstown, OH.. hated that.

Then, just this year, my best friend married a girl from southern OH, and he moved to be with her.. to Columbus (specificially Blacklick, OH)

She's a racist, homophobic, close-minded, Bush-supporting, hate-filled {censored} and I can't believe my best friend would marry that sort of thing. So i hate her, ergo Ohio.

Nothing personal. (but the weather still sucks)

Actually, I tend to agree with you, and want to get out of Ohio as soon as possible-I grew up near Springfield, which seems to have a lot of people like that.

I still like Cincinnati and Athens, even if the rest of the state kind of sucks. ;)

• Members
You're overestimating the size of the area.

It's the 32nd largest metro area in the US. A list of the five higher and lower (with their respective "big four" sports teams)

28 - Kansas City (Chiefs, Royals)

29 - San Antonio (Spurs)

30 - San Jose (Sharks)

31 - Las Vegas (None)

32 - Milwaukee (Brewers, Bucks)

33 - Columbus (Blue Jackets)

34 - Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers)

35 - Virginia Beach

• Members
The list of comparably sized cities is very helpful, actually (although I know that wasn't intentional--you were just being contentious about sports. *smiles, agrees, drinks more beer*
;)
).

Nonsense...

I was being contentious about Columbus (and every Buckeye fan in the city) not being a big city, but instead its inhabitants being hicks... :p

If making fun of Buckeye fans isn't helpful, I don't know what is...:D

(and more seriously, correcting incorrect information is helpful...there is no benefit to being wrong ;))...

• Members
Nonsense...

I was being contentious about Columbus (and every Buckeye fan in the city) not being a big city, but instead its inhabitants being hicks...
:p

If making fun of Buckeye fans isn't helpful, I don't know what is...
:D

(and more seriously, correcting incorrect information is helpful...there is no benefit to being wrong
;)
)...

:thu:

• Members

I used to visit there alot, as a kid, in the 70's & 80's, almost took ajob there in 2000...chose not to for other reason. If I didn't live in Raleigh it would most definitely be Cols. If it matters to you, they are now non-smoking, I think even in all the bars, some have smoking patios or what-not.

• Members

my brother moved there from chicago a few years ago. he likes not having to drive 9 miles in 45 minutes. it's a cowtown. i like visiting him there, but my parents grew up there, so i've been going to ohio my whole life. traffic and stress levels improve, but the pizza is way worse.

robb.

• Members

I really like Columbus. When I got here 20 yrs ago, they were still running fertilizer ads on TV during the evening news. The only music in town was blues and punk.
Now there's a million things to do: Live music, theater, sports etc. It is a real friendly place.
It's very much like Denver, only the mean age is older, and there's a strong element of convervative in the air---not much public transport. Great bike trails, though.

• Members

Thanks again, everyone. Columbus sounds like a nice place based on the comments. However, I've decided to decline interviewing for the job. Not a knock on Columbus; just that after a lot of soul searching my wife and I ultimately decided it's not worth uprooting the kids and leaving other family/friends for the extra dough. A job like this will very likely pop up in Chicago in the next couple of years, so I'll bide my time.

Thanks again for all the input! :cool:

Archived