Need advice on amp choice

Mackin

• Members

Hi there !

A good friend (and bandmate) of mine is seriously thinking of buying a Hartke HA4000 bass amp with a matching 4x10 cab (he currently has a 15 watt peavey combo and needs to upgrade). The reviews for the Hartke are fairly good except for the fact that the amp is known for loosing power when cranked. So far, we won't be playing out very often and when we will, it will only be in small/medium indoor venues.

For similar settings, what amp would you buy ?

Thanks for reading ! :thu:

• Members

I'd say 'NOOOOOOOOOOOO' but that's just because I'm a bitter, jaundiced anti-Hartke partisan

If he could get something like a Peavey or an Ashdown for a similar amount of money then that's what I'd go for

Okay ! Is there a model in particular that you would choose over another ? He will be playing along with 2 guitars in standard tuning. We will be playing mostly power and trash metal along with some hard-rock tunes. I don't know about his budget but I'm guessing what, 800-1000 $ CAN ?

Hope that helps !

Thanks for the replies everybody !

• Members

I'd seriously look into a GK head (700 or 1001 RB-ii) and then worry about a cab...if it's something he HAS to have...look at avatar, ampeg, peavey, GK...I personally don't like Hartke cabs. But for the money, you can't beat the GK heads from rmcaudio.com. If he can wait for a cab...then I recommend reading this post and following that...

• Members

Okay ! Is there a model in particular that you would choose over another ? He will be playing along with 2 guitars in standard tuning. We will be playing mostly power and trash metal along with some hard-rock tunes. I don't know about his budget but I'm guessing what, 800-1000 $ CAN ?

Hope that helps !

Thanks for the replies everybody !

I have no idea what prices of things are like in Canada. Something like the Ashdown MAG300 with one of the MAG 4x10 or Peavey 410TVX cabinets should do the job :thu: More power is always better, though - get as much as he can afford if possible.

Thinking about it he might want to check out Yorkville, too - I haven't tried the stuff myself but I've heard good things about them.

Archived