Does anybody dislike the sound of mesa boogie cabs?

BEAD

• Members

WRONG!!!

Having never played Mesa cabs....i can't comment....BUT,

my Ampeg stuff is hardly under-powered, and doesn't sound at all like crap.

It may look like crap....but i kinda like it that way. When i throw the standby

the look is "wow it actually works"....and well!!!!

I say that because other than the SVT-HLF series of cabs, I've found Ampeg cabs to be pretty unspectacular: muddy, and pretty high priced for what their level of "performance"... As for their Amps: other than the old SVT tubers, their SS amps are usually pretty overrated power-wise when compared to other brands, and certainly nothing spectacular tonal-wise... yet, are quite over-priced, IMO... I say this with the experience of having played Ampeg rigs of nearly every configuration at backline provided gigs literally hundreds of times over the years... I'll admit that the 'Pegs always got the job done, and I've never had one break down on me - but I sure as hell don't get the Ampeg fanboy stuff I so often see on bass forums(not saying that's you, btw)...

Now with Mesa, on the other hand - sure, their stuff is a bit pricey, but I've always been able to get a good sound out of any Mesa gear I've ever played - and if anything, they seem to underrate their gear, power-wise... I will admit that I like their amps more than I do their cabs, though...

Of course, like anything - YMMV...

- georgestrings

• Members

Before I sold my current setup, I was running through Eden cabs (4x10 xlt + 2x10 xlt.) Not satisfied, I sold those and, money in hand, I ran my Modulus Quantum 5 through an Ampeg SVT-Cl and had the sales guy switch the speaker cable between the Ampeg 6x10 and the Powerhouse 1000. The Powerhouse 1000 won that little test (mainly me hammering low B string riffs.) It really wasn't even close.

I've since played shows when the house had an Ampeg 8x10, and I really missed my Mesa. I'm not sure if it's the combination of speakers (1x15 + 4x10 + horn), or the cabinet's tuning, or the "Mesa" sound, but I really prefer the 1000 over ANY other option I've ever played, and I've played just about everything.

I know I sound like I work for them or something, but hearing my low B come through this cabinet at full volume was really eye-opening.

Archived