pickup/OB preamp combos

FGABassGuy

• Members

first of all, thanks to everyone for helping out on my last post...i think i'm gonna stick with two Jazz basses and just make some pickup/preamp changes for fun.

i'm thinking about the aguilar ob-1 because it is the most simplistic (ie, only boost) but i cant decide on another preamp, or if i should keep it the same, as well as what pickups to use.

can anybody think of some other options?

SD? Bart? fender? other ob preamps?

ps, if it helps im going for classic rock/mainstream rock sound...so nothing too soft and smooth and nothing too nu-metal either. i'll be using either an svt-cl or an 800rb

• Members

What is your thought process behind the OBP1 choice? And what are you trying to do??

I have the OBP3 in my OLP bass and it's made the bass extremely flexible. My goal was brighter highs, but the OBP3 (with the OPL's stock pickups) brought the magic! Bright highs for a nice slap tone, and nice round lows for nasty pulsating reggae.

But I'm no OBP3 evangelist.

You gotta tell us more about what you're up to and why the OBP1 is what you're looking at. Is it a $$ issue?

As GuitarGod asked, why would a boost-only preamp be useful for you?

• Members

my thinking was simply that a boost only preamp would make everything easier on me. I figured it would just be easier to roll everything back and make small adjustments if i had to, rather than set everything in the middle and work forwards and backwards. this might not make any sense, but thats why im asking...i have no experience with OB's

• Members

There are detents in the center, and once you get used to it (which takes absolutely no time) you'll be tweaking like a pro. It will also be more versatile, as if can cut certain frequencies if they are too overwhelming.

I really don't see how it's any easier to use a boost only vs. a boost/cut. The installation will be exactly the same, the bands are the same...especially if you get the OBP2.

If you wanna get nuts, John East makes one of the best preamps for J basses period. They are expensive, but cool little guys. If I was modding a Jazz, I'd probably go with an East pre and Nordy pickups, but I'd also want some crazy controls. I might possibly go with SD 1/4 pounders too...not really sure.

Volume/Blend stacked-->Treble-->Mid (push/pull for different freqs)-->Bass-->Active/Passive switch

If you want boost only, go for it. Different strokes for different folks. All of my basses are active...well the ones that I play all the time. Sometimes you do need to cut things (like bass) to compensate for the room at a gig...and it's easier to do it on my bass than go back to my amp. My hands stay on the instrument...

• Members

Also consider Audere. My bass with Nordstrand split coil Jazz pups and a three band Audere is the best pickup/pre/bass combination I've heard. Compared to an Aggie OBP-3, the low control is more usable by not being so powerful and a higher frequency center that keeps the boominess down and the phat up. Also has a REALLY nice sounding high control, not to mention three z-modes. After two OBP-3's, two Bart three band pre's and an Audere, for a jazz bass I'd always pick Audere.

• Members

Good call! They've got some cool stuff to choose from. I was thinking about putting one of those in my fretless Ray'

One nice thing is they also have a ton of configuration options, you can virtually spec it out however you want. My next one is going into a P/J bass, and will have a master volume, a stacked vol/vol for each pickup, stacked treble/bass, and a mid pot with a three way mid frequency switch. Also will have an active/bypass switch and the Z-mode switch. I can't wait to get it all done!

• Members

thanks for the advice, ill be sure to let everyone know when it's all done. i looked at the audere site and it looks nice, but it might be tricky with a rear routed bass...but ill bet my tech could come up with something.

thanks again and merry christmas

• Members

thanks for the advice, ill be sure to let everyone know when it's all done. i looked at the audere site and it looks nice, but it might be tricky with a rear routed bass...but ill bet my tech could come up with something.

thanks again and merry christmas

It's no more tricky than a Bart, Aggie, or any other preamp. Audere offers a Jazz bass unit all pre-wired onto a Jazz bass control plate, but they also offer the preamps meant for rear routed non-jazz basses too. The pots and wireing is all pre done by Audere, and the installation should be simpler than other preamps.

Archived