Hey Fretless Players?!?

Groove Tool

• Members

I buy halfrounds/groundwounds because my fingerboard is in great condition and I like it that way, but want more brightness than a flatwound.

metal > wood... no matter what shape. Wood will wear out.

Playing technique is the greatest factor in wear... my stainless rounds barely score the boards on my Acrylized maple 6 or my epoxied rosewood.

no need to squeeze the neck tight and vibrato should be done with the strings length not across the width of the board.

here is 2 years of steady use of stainless rounds

boards-003.jpg

(I used groundwounds prior for a darker tone that I've since gotten away from)

• Members

I ultimately like the bright sound of the rounds and have been using them on my Alembic although the fretboard has taken a hit.

I would prefer to protect the bass, but have not enjoyed playing on flat wounds. I want articulation and thump which I can't seem to get out of lighter gauge strings.

I would consider half wounds.

I have been using a site juststrings.com and my options for 6 strings are somewhat limited. Who do you guys buy your strings from?

I appreciate your input.

• Members

I try to order localy to help my mom-n-pop shop, but juststrings.com rawks. I'd try half or ground -wounds. They're quite different, and although I'm not completely sold on them, I'm glad to have been trying them. If you download the free tunes on MySpace, you can hear them on my fretless tracks.

• Members

These still might be my faves...have to revisit them. I've been using grounds and they've proven quite interesting. Chromes are pretty nice- different.

I've got TI's on my fretless, and one on a fretted. My P bass has Fender flats, which work great for that bass.

Archived