Setup question for Bass Noob

mhallerbach

• Members

I just got an Ibanez GSR200 - I've setup numerous guitars but not a bass before. After working a bit with the truss rod(Came with an absurd 1/4" relief from the factory) - I got it down to .015"(Which is actually a hair over what Ibanez recommends for spec at 8th with capo(.3mm) - Strings are at factory spec - 6/64th on E, 5/64th on G, and nut seems to be correct height at 1st(holding down 3rd fret). Its playing pretty well across all strings up until tabout the 8th fret to the 14th fret, at which time I'm getting some buzzing,mainly when fingering. Do I need to raise the string height even more, or should I give it even more relief(I read on the Bass FAQ that most bassses could go up to .75mm for relief). I am a sloppy/aggressive player. I am also planning on putting DAdarrio Chrome flatwound strings(lights) on it next week once I get the relief and height set, at which time I will then intonate it as well.

From the symptoms it seems it would need more relief since it plays okay in the higher register, but since I am already beyond factory spec on relief(which is usually conservative) I don't want it to become mushy in the middle frets

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• Moderators

The relief is not the problem, the fretwork is. To combat poor fretwork, you need to rise the action by adjusting the saddles. The better solution is to correct the fretwork. It is likely a few high/low frets are the source of your issue and a leveling will allow you to have the bass playing flawlessly at your preferred height.

• Members

Have you messed with string saddle heights yet?

Just out of curiosity, why are you putting flats on it?

I haven't touched the saddle heights yet - They seem pretty good from factory - I am putting flats on it because I want a thumpier, sound(less bright) with less finger noise from me due to my poor bass technique - Also want strings that will last a long time since I will only be playing this bass once in awhile (My Gibson Les Paul and Fender Strat are my main obsessions) - From what I read on here flats last quite a bit longer and wont be so harsh on my hands.

If it truely is fretwork - Would fretwork not be a warranty item - I just got this bass this week. I've had fretwork covered on my Washburn Acoustic guitar before, but I know every manufacturer is different in what they define as warranty.

So do you guys think I'm maxed out on my action adjustments.

• Members

Most new instruments will always need fretwork. There are very few companies that go the extra mile and actually do good fretwork...and those are usually custom instruments like Sadowsky (NYC only) type stuff. EB is one of the only mass manufacturers that does it to my knowledge.

Flats will last a long time, but that's because they are pretty dead in the first place. If something is already dead...it's kinda hard to me make it...um...deader. :)

• CMS Author

The relief is not the problem, the fretwork is. To combat poor fretwork, you need to rise the action by adjusting the saddles. The better solution is to correct the fretwork. It is likely a few high/low frets are the source of your issue and a leveling will allow you to have the bass playing flawlessly at your preferred height.

Yup.

Additionally, since you've got an aggressive style, you may need to raise the strings anyway.

• Members

Yup.

Additionally, since you've got an aggressive style, you may need to raise the strings anyway.

I hear you. Also - low humidity right now could be playing havoc with the action - I am feeling the metal frets on the side of the fingerboard. I think I'll put the flats on it and see how it sounds.

Then again it is only a $200 bass so I can't expect too much

• Moderators

I hear you. Also - low humidity right now could be playing havoc with the action - I am feeling the metal frets on the side of the fingerboard. I think I'll put the flats on it and see how it sounds.

Then again it is only a $200 bass so I can't expect too much

You can expect exactly what you got. A bass that is good, but could be refined to be great. A $200 bass is just a few hours of care away from being a really well playing bass.

The lack of humidity can cause your fingerboard to shrink and the fret ends to "sprout," which is what you are feeling. However, the playability issues in your setup are not humidity related. Whether it is important enough for you to address the fret heights is your call, but the problem is fairly straightforward to assess and repair. :)

Archived