Pic's of my vintage SVT

abstract

• Members

320829-1

C.I.A. 682 79 04

I don't know what the first number is, probably the manufacturers part number. The second number is the Ampeg part number. That last numbers, '682' are the manufacturer, Electrical Windings, '79' is the year and 04 is the week. So it was made sometime in 1979.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an early 70's (not sure on exact year, need to get some pics of it) with the original magnavox power tubes in it. Sounds killer !

An honest question; I sincerely want to know.

My understanding of tubes is that they wear out, like strings. I know different tube manufacturers have different sounds, specs, etc.

But I'm puzzled about how 30 year old tubes can "sound killer." Was the amp not played that much? Were the tubes made back then built to last a lifetime?

:idk:

• Members

An honest question; I sincerely want to know.

My understanding of tubes is that they wear out, like strings. I know different tube manufacturers have different sounds, specs, etc.

But I'm puzzled about how 30 year old tubes can "sound killer." Was the amp not played that much? Were the tubes made back then built to last a lifetime?

:idk:

Tubes DO eventually wear out...but the life expectancy is much longer than a set of strings. I've got a set of power tubes in mine that is well over 12 years old, and the performance is fine...there are amps with 30 year old tubes in them that still work well. (They may not perform up to full rated spec, but they sound good and work).

And yes, the older ones tended to be made a little better.

• Members

Tubes DO eventually wear out...but the life expectancy is much longer than a set of strings. I've got a set of power tubes in mine that is well over 12 years old, and the performance is fine...there are amps with 30 year old tubes in them that still work well. (They may not perform up to full rated spec, but they sound good and work).

Yep, as long as they're not biased too hot they should easily last for many years.

• Members

I'm skeptical. I know some Ampeg amp techs who tell me that I should be looking to retube my head after several years of hard use. I'm told that often tubes don't fail dramatically, but the amp starts to sound "soft" and starts to lose its edge.

Depending on their style, I wonder if some players would mind or even notice that occurring.

I also wonder if part of the "original tube" thing doesn't reflect a touch of "vintage mania" . . . .

• Members

I'm skeptical. I know some Ampeg amp techs who tell me that I should be looking to retube my head after several years of hard use. I'm told that often tubes don't fail dramatically, but the amp starts to sound "soft" and starts to lose its edge.

Depending on their style, I wonder if some players would mind or even notice that occurring.

I also wonder if part of the "original tube" thing doesn't reflect a touch of "vintage mania" . . . .

If you notice a change in tone or output the amp should be serviced. It may or may not be tubes. For myself, having the original tubes in good condition is a big plus, especially in a vintage amplifier. Just because they're old doesn't mean they need to be replaced.

• Members

Well, I've experienced firsthand an improvement in tone when changing out a set of tubes in guitar amp heads. The old tubes didn't sound bad. . . nothing was technically "wrong" with the amp's tone, but I guess a little of the "shine" just slips away day-by-day. It was so gradual, that it was imperceptible until a tube change makes you realize just how far things had progressed. Then you plug it in and you're like "HOLY CRAP! How did I not notice that?!?"

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to take the old tubes out (saving them in a glass case to be admired and reinstalled into the amp for resale,) slap in some new ones, and see if the sound changes. Undoubtedly, it will. For better or worse, that's the question! Impossible to know how it sounded in 79 when those "vintage" tubes were just getting broken in tho.

I'd kill to be able to do a blind taste test with both sets of tubes. I'd also love to see which sound some of the "vintage" guys preferred from a recording of the two. :p

• Moderators

Well, I've experienced firsthand an improvement in tone when changing out a set of tubes in guitar amp heads. The old tubes didn't sound bad. . . nothing was technically "wrong" with the amp's tone, but I guess a little of the "shine" just slips away day-by-day. It was so gradual, that it was imperceptible until a tube change makes you realize just how far things had progressed. Then you plug it in and you're like "HOLY CRAP! How did I not notice that?!?"

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to take the old tubes out (saving them in a glass case to be admired and reinstalled into the amp for resale,) slap in some new ones, and see if the sound changes. Undoubtedly, it will. For better or worse, that's the question! Impossible to know how it sounded in 79 when those "vintage" tubes were just getting broken in tho.

I'd kill to be able to do a blind taste test with both sets of tubes. I'd also love to see which sound some of the "vintage" guys preferred from a recording of the two.
:p

Popping new tubes in a head and doing nothing else to ensure proper equilibrium in the circuit is not the wisest choice. Though it is pretty easy to get a dramatic change in tone when bias isn't properly set.

• Members

Popping new tubes in a head and doing nothing else to ensure proper equilibrium in the circuit is not the wisest choice. Though it is pretty easy to get a dramatic change in tone when bias isn't properly set.

Ummm. . . really? Thanks, "Captain Obvious!" :thu:

Seriously, I'm assuming that re-tubing an amp, especially a vintage one, would be something you'd have a pro do, unless you've got at least some decent amount of knowledge and experience. I've got a shop and a tech friend I trust with all my gear.

Doesn't change my point, tho. . . I'd be curious to hear how putting fresh tubes in one of these vintage amps effects the sound.

Seeing as tubes aren't designed to last forever, isn't it inevitable that it will happen sooner or later, especially under heavy use? Would you let it sound sub-optimal just to keep the original tubes in place? What if the amps sounded great, but you were unaware that it could sound a lot better with a fresh set?

Are old ampegs meant to be played or put in museums? From some of the comments I've read here and other places, I wonder. . . . I'm not saying a museum is a bad choice for such an awesome amp, I'm just saying that we should call it what it is then, and be done with it.

The reason why I'm wondering is, that my SVT-VR has tons of clarity and responsiveness that I previously only associated with the top modern SS amps. I thought Ampeg tube heads were growly and dark, but lacking a certain "polish" or "edge." That is, until I found my current amp. I'm wondering if my prior experiences (with a few "vintage" heads in particular) weren't colored by the fact that I was maybe playing heads that needed a fresh set of tubes to bring them back to life. . . :idk:

• Moderators

The difference between you and misterhinkydink (and to a lesser extent me) is you change tubes because you don't know what's what and it might be what's needed.

I have scoped and listened to my V-4B with the old tubes and a set of new tubes. Old doesn't mean broken or sub optimal.

Every vintage Ampeg I've played has been clear and responsive. If it weren't, something would be wrong.

When you were swapping tubes, did you check your voltages and bias before swapping the tubes and see if that was the issue?

• Members

I have scoped and listened to my V-4B with the old tubes and a set of new tubes. Old doesn't mean broken or sub optimal.

Never said it was. My original question was in response to the "killer" 30-year-old tubes. A tube amp is like a living animal. . . it sounds different to me depending on how warmed up it is, the temperature and humidity, and sometimes just because it feels like it. . . but always "good." That's part of the art and magic. But parts of this living animal, the tubes, age a little bit every time you turn up that amp and thump those low notes.

I'm just saying that I don't see how you could take this animal, play it for 30 years, and have it sound the same as the day you bought it, all the while just "tweaking" the bias. Maybe it still sounds great, but the same as the day you bought it? What if you could get that first-day tone back? What if you didn't even remember what that was?!?

No, old doesn't mean "broken" or "sub-optimal", but it also doesn't mean "vintage" and "awesome" either. Sometimes it just means: old.

• Members

I've changed out all the electrolytics and a few other components that had drifted too far off spec. I occasionally play with swapping components and listening to the amp to see what I like best. I've swapped tubes and put back in the originals because they are still on spec and they sound perfect for me.

Sounds like we're of the same mind, then. My point was always that I think people overly respect the "vintage" label, sometimes to the detriment of simple maintenance (like retubing an old amp that has begun to lose its bite.) Reminds me of the postings I've seen of vintage P basses "with original strings." :rolleyes:

What you did, swapping and comparing, shows that you value tone above labels, and that I respect.

:deadhorse:

• Moderators

Sounds like we're of the same mind, then. My point was always that I think people overly respect the "vintage" label, sometimes to the detriment of simple maintenance (like retubing an old amp that has begun to lose its bite.) Reminds me of the postings I've seen of vintage P basses "with original strings." What you did, swapping and comparing, shows that you value tone above labels, and that I respect.

:deadhorse:

We're on the same page. Vintage does not mean anything in itself except old. You will also hear me argue that country of origin does not mean anything in itself. People judging based on those concepts are missing the true causation.

The reason we have to argue about old tubes is there is too much misinformation about tube life. Often by amp manufacturer's like Mesa that make more money selling tubes than amps...

• Members

clorox wtf? if he had the tubes checked and theyre up to spec then that means they have more than enough life in them to not negativly effect his tone, no matter what the age or brand. tubes dont wear out while not being played obviously- yes tubes start to wear out the minute you start playing them and yes theres a chance of loosing some bottom end- thats why "vintage" tubes are selling at such high prices 1. supposably sound 2. they tend to last a long long time. no offense but it seemed to take way to long to settle that.

i think what you should of asked was how much play time he'd say he's put on the tubes over the years ect..

anyways awesome amp man- id love me some ampeg tone eventually.. i changed my first set of preamp tubes and 2 power tubes after a year so you've been really lucky with yours. albeit mine were jj and eh.. ill probably be putting in some nos 5751's in preamp position 1+2 for less gain and a mullard 12ax7 as i like a relativly clean tube sound... for power tubes ill prob go for jj kt88's as ive head good things and dont wanna spend hundreds for vintage.

id be interested to hear the differnce between the vr and cl side by side, or if its more cosmetics.

Archived