it growls!!!

poomwah

• Members

I brought my bass over to a friends house, we hooked it up direct to a mixing board and listened through headphones. After some tweaking on the eq on the bass and some tweaking with the pickup blend knob, I've got the growl and tone that I've been looking for !!!!

And I thought I was going to have to get another bass :] He had his eye on my ibanez and I had my eye on his washburn for a little while there

• Members

Good to hear.... now what are you going to do about live sound?
:p

Ahh, the ideal bass tone is a finicky thing. What kind of Ibanez do you have?

I have a soundgear sr1000ewn (walnut) 5 string prestige series.

For live sound I've got a cheapo behringer ultrabass 4500, that I'm THINKING of getting a preamp for since it doesn't have a whole lot of options, no tube preamp, no real eq, etc.

• Members

I have a soundgear sr1000ewn (walnut) 5 string prestige series.

For live sound I've got a cheapo behringer ultrabass 4500, that I'm THINKING of getting a preamp for since it doesn't have a whole lot of options, no tube preamp, no real eq, etc.

oh nice. I remember those high end soundgears being pretty damn good!

• Members

Remus, I'm searching for a certain tone. I'm gettign closer every day to getting that from my soundgear, but I'm not sure if I'll actually find it or not. Thought maybe the fender clone might get me closer to the sound I'm looking for

Its all Phil Lynotts fault (thin lizzy)

• Members

Remus, I'm searching for a certain tone. I'm gettign closer every day to getting that from my soundgear, but I'm not sure if I'll actually find it or not. Thought maybe the fender clone might get me closer to the sound I'm looking for

Its all Phil Lynotts fault (thin lizzy)

Keep searching with what you have. After enough time, you may just develop a bass tone of your own! That's what happened to me recently. It all came together for me when I stopped trying so hard to obtain a great bass tone and concentrated more on my playing. I noticed that bass tone doesn't just come from a certain rig, instrument, or EQ setting, but but it all comes to how you simply play the bass.

Keep playing, it'll come to you!

• Members

Jesus christ I'd never swap that for a Washburn, and I own one
:freak:

Maybe a swap if he gave you another $500
:D

it wouldnt have been quite that good a deal for me, it would have been the washburn plus 300 or so

but now that I know I can get the sound out of it, I wouldnt dream of getting rid of it

• Members

I brought my bass over to a friends house, we hooked it up direct to a mixing board and listened through headphones. After some tweaking on the eq on the bass and some tweaking with the pickup blend knob, I've got the growl and tone that I've been looking for !!!!

Can you tell us a little bit more what settings you turned your pots at to achieve your sound ? I know that settings for a good sound in a band depend on the other instruments, especially the number of guitars and their relative tonal settings.

My guitards have a Les Paul and a Strat and I have my Jazz Bass neck pup at 10, bridge pup at 7 and the tone at around 7. With my amp's bass and mids up and highs flat I get a good tone that cuts through the two guitars.

Archived