Routing my Brice 6 string to fit a MusicMan pickup in it...

BlueEcho811

• Members

I know this sounds ridiculous but this idea came to me from a discussion in another thread... how hard would it be to route the bridge pickup of my bass and install a MM soapbar pickup in it? I installed pickups in my p-bass but I didn't have to do any routing... so I'm kind of clueless.

hxb406bk2a.jpg

• Members

Now I may be wrong... but I think you'll probably run into problems finding a six-string MM pickup.

Thats what I'm thinkig also but mabe there fiver is long enough. Don't know. It will probably more work and harder than you think it will be.:freak:

• Members

Thats what I'm thinkig also but mabe there fiver is long enough. Don't know. It will probably more work and harder than you think it will be.
:freak:

Yea I mean, I have seen 7 string soapbar style pickups, I just have no clue where to find them. I love my 6'er and it doesn't really need to be modded, I just would have loved one in it. :love:

• Members

will the musicman pickup line up with the strings, even if you can find a 6er?

See, that'd be hard to gauge without being there. The traditional MM5 pickups have the 5 pole pieces, which may or may not line up with the Brice 6 spacing. There IS the new Bongo 6 string, but I don't think there are any commercial replacement MM 6 string pickups.

You could probably find a soap bar to fit, but it wouldn't be a true musicman pickup either. :idk:

• Members

If you go down this road, it would probably be worth it to have someone else route the body for you. It wouldn't be very expensive.

I know Seymour Duncan made a 6 string basslines pickup at one point in time for John Myung, but I'm not sure if it's available to the general public.

One last thing...a MM pickup is not a soapbar. You might just end up confusing someone with that. You have soapbars in your Brice now. You want a MM style pickup.

Archived