New avatar.

bikehorn

• Members

It is Miss Jones' sister Anoushka Shankar

If you are in to that kind of music (indian/western with elements of electronica) she has made a rather good cd named "Breathing Under Water.

I'm not in it for the fusion crap :bor: but I guess that sells records and lets her continue playing classical sitar. Actually even her recorded catalog of classical is kind of crappy, except maybe Live at Carnegie Hall, and even that...meh. Doesn't do justice to the available talent. However, those recordings were made a relatively long time ago(the newest one came out seven years ago) and I saw her in concert with her dad in October which proved my suspicion that she's a billion times better live. It was very intense and the interplay between the performers was palpable.

• Members

I'm not in it for the fusion crap
:bor:
but I guess that sells records and lets her continue playing classical sitar. Actually even her recorded catalog of classical is kind of crappy, except maybe Live at Carnegie Hall, and even that...meh. Doesn't do justice to the available talent. However, those recordings were made a relatively long time ago(the newest one came out seven years ago) and I saw her in concert with her dad in October which proved my suspicion that she's a billion times better live. It was very intense and the interplay between the performers was palpable.

Excellent! So you hate pretty much all her recordings, so there's no way to really recommend her to anyone unless they happen to live in an area that may have her in concert sometime...because as you say, her recordings are crap and even her live album is "meh".

What a ringing endorsement! :thu:

• Members

Excellent! So you hate pretty much all her recordings, so there's no way to really recommend her to anyone unless they happen to live in an area that may have her in concert sometime...because as you say, her recordings are crap and even her live album is "meh".

What a ringing endorsement!
:thu:

Well, and she's hot and at 17 could still play better sitar than I'll ever play. My standards are just unrealistically high because of her dad's recordings. :)

Concert for George 2003:

[YOUTUBE]3HqQoLq5c2c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yihaa ! The current is back. It's four days ago the storm passed, but we still get power-cuts.

Well, each to his own taste, but good music is good music whatever genre.

"BUW" was released last year and, in my humble opinion, it is worth giving a chance whether you like that kind of music or not.

If she's good live, she might have developed her studio-skills over the years ?

• Members

Yihaa ! The current is back. It's four days ago the storm passed, but we still get power-cuts.

Well, each to his own taste, but good music is good music whatever genre.

"BUW" was released last year and, in my humble opinion, it is worth giving a chance whether you like that kind of music or not.

If she's good live, she might have developed her studio-skills over the years ?

Studio skills will have improved...and she's got a bunch of solid collaborators too. The reviews are strong for that one, so I'll give it a chance. Seven years since her last live(or any) recording playing strictly classical has given her a lot of time to develop technically and improve her sense of improvisation. The entire performance is improvised(often upwards of 30-40 minutes per piece) so you have to be pretty flexible and imaginative to remain interesting for that long.

Honestly, imagine the kind of pressure you would face if you were the child and star student of a superstar, released three major label albums by 20, were judged by an ultra elitist crowd which generally knows the music inside out and had prove beyond a doubt that your live performances are future legend material - or else face ridicule and be labeled an unworthy successor from the first crack. It's a completely insurmountable task to live up to those expectations. Basically, until the dexterity in her hands begins to wane from old age, her playing is only going to improve and I'm going to see the 'improvement' every time she plays in Toronto...unless it's fusion. :thu:

If her label released an album called "Live in Toronto at Roy Thomson Hall October 27 2007", I'd definitely buy it.

Archived