Recos on the ultimate practice amp

WillieJ

• Members

Greetings, all. New on this forum...so hoping this topic hasn't been covered too recently (couldn't find similar going back a few pages).

Last few weekends I tried & failed auditioning small amps in local stores...not easy to hear over Guitar Hero wanna-be's cranking Marshall stacks.

Kinda liked (what I could hear of) the Harke 25 and 35w combos. Also real impressed with PJB suitcase. The others got lost in the shredder's audio fog. Have seen small SWFs on web, but not in store...couldn't really really hear Fender Rumbles, but didn't sound too good...saw a new small Acoustic 30w, not too impressed.

Anyone have/played a small-sh amp to recommend with sound/tone you LOVE?

• Members

For home practice only, Peavey's new Max112 is tough to beat. If you want something more inspiring, check out the new Roland Cube 100. Hartke's Kickback with the 12" driver is pretty decent if it's tone get's your rocks off. Otherwise, Ampeg's BA112 and Ashdown's Perfect Ten are nice as well.

• Members

Thanks for the thoughts. (haven't figured out quoting system yet on this forum...will check FAQ :)

T. Alan & postludium - :thu: will check out (as many as I can find @ retail...trying to listen before buying)

"God" - :cool: yep...that's a biggie. I'm hoping for a (relatively) small footprint. But sure that does work for multi-use. Like gigs, too.

justinbass - $? Good Q. I am actually considering the PJB suitcase ($500+) ... pricey for sure, but the size/weight/sound ratio is unique. Trying to fight off the GAS factor. :cool: Comments about it posted on the HC gear reviews are mostly positive, but it seems they always are - as much people justifying what they have, as sharing valuable insight. I figured, looking at entries here, I stood a better chance of getting frank comment. So far - seems like that's so. Any other views ... all very appreciated. Hoping to go shopping again this weekend. Thinking of trying 8th st. d'town Philly. :rolleyes:Maybe they'll have more stock to play. Thanks for your help. :wave:

• Members

I hear a lot of PJ's stuff has a little bit of reliability issues as well as horrible customer service.

My recommendation is the Ashdown Perfect Ten Mini Rig. It is a 60 watt 2x10 stack that could hold it's own on small coffee shop type gigs. It has a CD input, a Headphone out (which doubles as a line out), and the sound is definitely good IMO.

AAP10MiniRig_b.jpg

Oh and did I mention it looks cool?

Dan

Archived