Ken Smith Design basses

frunobulax

• Members

There's a lot of info over at TB about him. He was a dickhead when I contacted him about building a bass so I ended up going with Pete H.

There was also something over there where he threw a hissy fit in a thread and left TB..ne'r to return.

People seem to like his basses though from what I can tell.

Dan

• Members

Good basses. I had a 70's style fretted fiver and it was a really nice bass. If I woul dhave kept it I may have upgraded the preamp, but it's a solid well built bass with a nice b-string. The 4 bangers are great too.

I'd put them right up there with a Lakland Skyline or MIA Fender.

• Members

They are very affordable used, and solid basses. If you have a good price on one, go for it.

Dan, I am sorry to hear your story. I know a few guys locally that have had him build them basses and have opposite stories about him. You probably did better going with Pete. All of the Smith basses I've touched have sounded the same, and that isn't the sound I want.

• Moderators

There was also something over there where he threw a hissy fit in a thread and left TB..ne'r to return.

I saw him posting there this afternoon. :D

He was extremely helpful to me when I was double bass shopping. He took a look at pictures of basses I sent him, gave me questions to ask the sellers, verified back stories on basses, etc. All for nothing. He's a grumpy old man, but I'll back him.

I've played on KSD bass. It was solid.

• Moderators

I don't know why, but that made me chuckle. Old men can get away with murder sometimes/

I can't wait until I'm old enough to change my moniker to Grumpiness.

I think I should have several HCBF monikers:

Kindness

Grumpiness

Coolness

Business

Pea-ness

• Members

It's another Korean, made by Cort bass. Very much along the lines of the Fender Jazz 24 or the Lakland Skylines. Good, solid. Excellent used value.

There is a 60s and a 70s jazz model, and they capture those eras pretty well. I had a 5 string 60s and it sounded really good. Mine was too heavy for me. It was a 35" scale 60s voiced Jazz Bass. Not a lot of those out there.

• Members

I can't wait until I'm old enough to change my moniker to Grumpiness.

I think I should have several HCBF monikers:

Kindness

Grumpiness

Coolness

Business

Pea-ness

huh huh, he said pea-ness.

I always joke about how I hope I am not senile when I get older so I can {censored} with people.

• Members

I saw him posting there this afternoon.
:D

He was extremely helpful to me when I was double bass shopping. He took a look at pictures of basses I sent him, gave me questions to ask the sellers, verified back stories on basses, etc. All for nothing. He's a grumpy old man, but I'll back him.

I've played on KSD bass. It was solid.

There was a time I know where he took off for some reason in a huff. I can't remember why, but there were several threads over there that mentioned it.

Dan

• Members

Good basses. I had a 70's style fretted fiver and it was a really nice bass. If I woul dhave kept it I may have upgraded the preamp, but it's a solid well built bass with a nice b-string. The 4 bangers are great too.

I'd put them right up there with a Lakland Skyline or MIA Fender.

a local shop has a 5er jbass thingy-- it was very well built, good b string, but I didnt like the tone much... kinda nasally- couldnt dial in my sweet spot-- and the neck wasnt comfy the way i like it-- seemed chunky and clumsy to me... but one mans sweet is another mans sour. Try it b4 you buy it...

• Members

a local shop has a 5er jbass thingy-- it was very well built, good b string, but I didnt like the tone much... kinda nasally- couldnt dial in my sweet spot-- and the neck wasnt comfy the way i like it-- seemed chunky and clumsy to me... but one mans sweet is another mans sour. Try it b4 you buy it...

it's 450, and the pic looked nice.

but 'm not going to buy it. i don't need it.

• Members

I have a 705 Model, being a lefty it was the first 5er J bass that I could find after a few years of searching. I've had it for almost 2years and I still play it regularly. It is well built, but it is HEAVY (that doesn't bother me). However i did a few mods: Replaced the pickups and installed an Audere Preamp. You can hear some audio of this bass w/ mods @ this link:

Archived