Flatwound users - a question for you.

Retrovertigo

• Members

I have Rotosound flats on my MIJ AE fretless P-bass. It's string-through, and I've never had any issues.

I suspect LaBella has concerns about the break angle of the strings as they pass up through the body and over the bridge. The flat outer windings might get deranged.

• Members

I have Rotosound flats on my MIJ AE fretless P-bass. It's string-through, and I've never had any issues.

I suspect LaBella has concerns about the break angle of the strings as they pass up through the body and over the bridge. The flat outer windings might get deranged.

Interesting. I wonder just how bad that could be? LaBella's are usually my go-to flat. However, I'm looking at (possibly) buying a bass were string-thru is the only option.

Thanks for the info fellas.

• Members

I string through a Fender Deluxe Lyte (their spelling, not mine) and it makes the tone more consistant across the strings. Maybe a little more beefy. But I broke a string. It had been on guitar for a three years of finger style playing with me really diggin in.

I had hoped to be one of those cats who say they never have replaced their flats.

• Members

You can go string thru with flatwounds, but most techs will recommend top lead because of the string angle break. The aforementioned inference to Jameson is incorrect: his year P-bass did not have string-thru. It was top load.

Archived