Might be sending the Lakland back home!

willsellout

• Members

So I spoke to Brian at Lakland today about possibly sending the Lakland back to tha factory to get the Chi Sonic PU's put in and electronics redone. Same passive setup I think..might be getting the whole shabang done though depending on what they say.

They were quite perplexed at the bass itself...saying that it's a unique bass. I came to the conclusion that the Dimarzio's must have been put in aftermarket...which is probably why the electronics cavity was such a mess. I can't honestly believe a bass manufacturer would let something like that slip. especially considering their reputation for "details".

Anyway Brian asked for pictures because he had never heard of them doing anything remotely similar to this bass and wanted to bring it to the shop to see what they thought. Best case scenario I send it back and they redo the electronics and put in their custom P and J pickups.

The bass is fully shielded now so it's ready to roll for them. I just really don't like the Dimarzio's.

Dan

• Members

That does explain a lot. I've never seen a Lakland with DiMarzios either and Dan's crew does topnotch work. Some previous owner {censored}ed up a perfectly good Lakland.

Grrr.

Yeah that's what I think too. I think the routes are original because there isn't really any evidence of paint chippin around thembut the pickups and electronics are probably not stock.

Dan

• Members

They're a great shop. They'll take good care of you.
:)

Yep, I sent my US Bob Glaub back to get a Fralin J pick-up added in the bridge position. They were great to work with. They told me up front the risks of routing an already finished bass but it came back looking flawless. Very happy with the results! Got nothing but good stuff to say about the crew at Lakland. :thu:

• Members

Allrighty well Brian just emailed me back after I sent him pictures. He said he thinks it was originally routed for a JJ setup but I'm not sure about that as the pickguard seems to be original. But what do I know..not much really but there aren't any obvious indications that it was routed after it left the factory (finish chips etc).

They said they can put in a fresh set of Chi Sonic P J or J J pickups with their preamp for 4 bills. I think I'm going to go with the P J setup but does anyone have any input that has had some time with their new pickups that could advise me?

Dan

• Members

Allrighty well Brian just emailed me back after I sent him pictures. He said he thinks it was originally routed for a JJ setup but I'm not sure about that as the pickguard seems to be original. But what do I know..not much really but there aren't any obvious indications that it was routed after it left the factory (finish chips etc).

They said they can put in a fresh set of Chi Sonic P J or J J pickups with their preamp for 4 bills. I think I'm going to go with the P J setup but does anyone have any input that has had some time with their new pickups that could advise me?

Dan

That's not a bad price! They sound like a pretty cool company. :thu:

• Members

That's not a bad price! They sound like a pretty cool company.
:thu:

Yeah not a bad price at all really. I kind of wanted to bring this bass into the present with their electronics and make it more of a 44-94 (only P J:D)

What I will have when I'm done is a very unique instrument for sure. I love the way the bass feels and plays and once this is done I think it will be a mainstay.

Dan

• Moderators

Dan

I spent a lot of time with their first set of new pickups when they were testing them in early 2005. I have not played their homegrown Ps and Js, but I haven't had a reason yet to be interested in their homegrown Ps and Js. I liked their preamp a lot better than the Bart they had been using, but as a general rule I'm not a fan of preamps in basses. Just not my thing. If that were my bass, I'd throw a set of Aero P/Js in there and I'd be all smiles.

• Members

I spent a lot of time with their first set of new pickups when they were testing them in early 2005. I have not played their homegrown Ps and Js, but I haven't had a reason yet to be interested in their homegrown Ps and Js. I liked their preamp a lot better than the Bart they had been using, but as a general rule I'm not a fan of preamps in basses. Just not my thing. If that were my bass, I'd throw a set of Aero P/Js in there and I'd be all smiles.

You know I just don't know. Part of me wants to replace all the pots and get some pickups and redo the whole thing. Part of me wants to send it to them and get it updated. I'm limited in my experience with pickups and don't know exactly what to get if I do it myself.

Dan

• Moderators

You know I just don't know. Part of me wants to replace all the pots and get some pickups and redo the whole thing. Part of me wants to send it to them and get it updated. I'm limited in my experience with pickups and don't know exactly what to get if I do it myself.

Dan

It is a Lakland bass. Let them make it the best Lakland bass they can. If it ends up not being for you, it will probably make someone else the happiest bassist on the planet.

• Members

It is a Lakland bass. Let them make it the best Lakland bass they can. If it ends up not being for you, it will probably make someone else the happiest bassist on the planet.

Well the bass is perfect for me. It's light, the neck is incredible, and it fits me perfectly. I don't want to not like it that's for sure. Maybe I will post this over at TB and see if I can get some more info on their PU and preamp characteristics.

Dan

• Members

A bass that fits you that well, that you know you love deserves to be upgraded, and in this case you even have the original makers to do it all. I'd jump on that in a second.
:cool:

Yeah I'm going to do it. I spoke to Brian and confirmed and received my RA#. I will be shipping it off on Monday. I'm also going to try and score a Lakland case as well as the case it's in doesn't fit the bass very well, it moves around inside and encountered some damage from the shipping on it's way here.

Dan

Archived