OT: PC gurus...help!!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

MY GF's computer is having lots of issues. My computer is sitting in the corner unused. I want to transfer all the files to my computer, but..........

Her computer is running XP, mine is running Windows 2000. I tried to install XP and it wouldn't install.

I have a Belkin Transfer kit, but it will only run on an XP or Vista computer.

Any suggestions????

• Members

I would say a PC "guru" would abhor the use of "guru," since it has Hindu roots, and therefore, it would be demeaning to a real guru to commonly call non-Hindus gurus. Oh, not that kind of PC...

Do both the computers have Ethernet ports? If so, you can get a simple cross connect cable, connect the two, share one's drive and drag and drop.

Dustin

• Members

Hey Funk -

You usually don't need (or even want) to transfer "all" files - you just want to transfer any content that you've created. I usually only transfer (or keep when I format):

* Pictures

* Word Files

* Email Addresses

* Browser Book Marks

* MP3s

If you have a lot of these (say 50 gigs or more), I'd go down to the computer store a buy an external hard drive and add the files you want onto it - format her computer using the XP disc, or the manufacturer's "restore" disc and then put them back on. If you don't have that much, use a USB thumb drive (a 4 gig is down to $25 bucks now) and move them to your computer - format her's again and then move them back.

If her computer is having lots of issues keep all the software will just gunk it up again. Find as many computer software discs as you have - format that thing - re-install fresh and have no issues.

Let me know if you have any more questions - I do this a lot.

AM

• Members

Hey Funk -

You usually don't need (or even want) to transfer "all" files - you just want to transfer any content that you've created. I usually only transfer (or keep when I format):

* Pictures

* Word Files

* Email Addresses

* Browser Book Marks

* MP3s

If you have a lot of these (say 50 gigs or more), I'd go down to the computer store a buy an external hard drive and add the files you want onto it - format her computer using the XP disc, or the manufacturer's "restore" disc and then put them back on. If you don't have that much, use a USB thumb drive (a 4 gig is down to $25 bucks now) and move them to your computer - format her's again and then move them back.

If her computer is having lots of issues keep all the software will just gunk it up again. Find as many computer software discs as you have - format that thing - re-install fresh and have no issues.

Let me know if you have any more questions - I do this a lot.

AM

Well, since you asked........

Her computer is doing things like the CD- drives don't work right. We can burn CD's, and they seem to work, but there's nothing on the discs. Also, the driver for my soundcard seems to have disappeared. It's Sound Blaster.

• Members

It sounds like some driver and system issues - do you have a recovery disc from Dell or whoever she bought it from? That would restore things back to the day she got the computer. (If there have been a bunch of changes to the computer's hardware, it could be more problematic, but most folks really don't get into that much.)

For your computer, I'd go here and try the "Software Autoupdate" -

http://www.soundblaster.com/support/

AM

Well, since you asked........

Her computer is doing things like the CD- drives don't work right. We can burn CD's, and they seem to work, but there's nothing on the discs. Also, the driver for my soundcard seems to have disappeared. It's Sound Blaster.

• Members

Pull your hard drive out and connect it to this:

then connect it to your GFs PC and pull whatever you want off it.

EDIT: about 15 miles away is the Tustin store. They have cheaper ones in the store, about $25

that looks cool..i bought a caddy and fitted the HD into it

one with 7200 rpm and a 5400 for my laptop

the caddies are around

Archived