Please aid my Direct Box morals for recording Behringer vs. Stewart Audio

Billystrat

• Members

I'm about to record a fresh batch of bass tracks. I've got a '64 Bassman, a newer Ampeg, a G&K 1001 RB, and a Hartke 7000 within 12 feet of me. I plan on recording 3 tracks at once, 2 amps and a DI track. I have a $140 Stewart Audio DI but was told by a respectable source "i need" to go buy the end all tone monster DI, a $30 Behringer Ultra-G with cab simulation.

Anyone have good or bad results with the Behringer Ultra-G? I've never liked Behringer stuff, but I've been told and read some good reviews on it. I see it pointless to spend money on a cheap DI when I have one that costs 5x that.

Hmmm maybe I'll buy Behringer and have a good ol' fashion shootout.

Or maybe a DI is a DI and I'm stupid? :thu:

BEHGI100_400x300_BS.jpg

• Members

thanks! I'm not a fighter, but who says I can't switch their coffee with old motor oil?

hahahaha. if you're not a fighter then you could ammend my above sentence with the words "and then run whilst shouting obscenities in the kickee's general direction".

but seriously - the stewart is a waay better unit and the behringer is not even in it's ballpark.

of course, clips of the comparison would be interesting :thu:

• Members

I have the Behringer, and for what it is (an inexpensive DI with some cool features for LIVE guitar work) its very nice. For studio work, IMO, it's a bit hissy, and if you can get away with micing your amps, it'd serve you better. If you MUST DI, and don't own a speaker sim of any sort, then it may be ok. And its cheap enough that even if you only throw it in your gig bag as an emergency back up measure, its still money well spent.

• Members

If you're recording three simultaneous tracks, then I don't think you're after a speaker sim sound from your DI.

The Behringer Ultra-G is a H&K Redbox clone. Like all Behringer products, it actually works exactly like the product that it clones with a bit more noise and an unpredictability that makes it way more fun than the more expensive original product.

Personally, I wouldn't use one for anything other than a door stop.

Archived