T-bird

cwatson

• Members

hmmm I think one of the good quotes on the forum about Tbird sound is that Ps thump, Js Growl and Tbirds ROAR!!

I also like what Thumper said - The Thunderbird is an ergonomic nightmare but the tone is :love:

T-birds have, imho, a completely unique sound...it is RAWK! not the most versatile bass but what it does, it does better than anything else!

Took me a while to 'meld' with my T-bird but once you get used to it it is a sound unlike any other bass.

I recently stopped gigging with mine because the weather/moisture here in Korea was murdering the neck...had it not been an issue I wouldn't have switched!

• Members

hmmm I think one of the good quotes on the forum about Tbird sound is that Ps thump, Js Growl and Tbirds ROAR!!

I also like what Thumper said - The Thunderbird is an ergonomic nightmare but the tone is
:love:

Yup. :D

Mine is my current main bass. It sounds great, and I get lots of compliments about it when I gig it. It's a bit heavy, and it's not the most comfortable bass in the world, but the tone makes up for it.

• Members

listen to Motley Crue for the thump of monotonous E and A roots........theres your T bird sound.

I love the look but they are a nightmaer to get comfortable with and they sound kind of dull to me....

I love the sound of a Les Paul but have yet to hear or Play a Gibson bass that sounded any good

IMO

• Members

What does a thunderbird sound like in terms of jazz/precision/mm etc

Kinda odd question, but i've fell in love with the style of the body and would love to know a little more before I concider adding one to the stable

Cheers

Chris

Unlike them if you mean Gibson.

The Epi-Birds, at least the one I have, get closer to the Fender sounds due to the wood and construction.

The Gibson is in a class by itself. The 60's Gibsons have bottom and mids like nothing passive that I've ever played. The newer ones(black plastic-covered pickups) can get a more modern sound and, with a pick mostly, do ROCK sound great. Roll the tone back on either and you have bottom for days(some say mud but mud never punched me in the stomach).

Martin Turner(Wishbone Ash, especially on Live Dates) got a very nice sound out of his 60's TB's.

Try the Epi and Gibson and see which one you prefer.

The Gibson, besides sound difference, comes with the strap button moved to the heel which helps with so-called neck-dive. Putting your forearm on the upper wing also helps....and becomes natural.

The Epi will require button relocation.

Enjoy!

Archived