delay- line 6 dl4 vs. deluxe memory man

heartsndspades

• Members

basically what the title says.. your take which one works well/better with bass?? (ill be using with guitar as well) im split as the bands i like are split (meaning they all use either on as well as boss). examples- explosions in the sky, appleseed cast, mogwai.

pro's and con's as far as im concerned- the dl4 has some reliablity issues ect.. the eh deluxe memory man doesnt seem as versitile as the line 6.

:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks!

• Members

I reckon the memory man would be better as it has a much longer loop funtion and I think the Line 6 delays arent really that useful for a bass player, much better suited to a guitarist IMO. With the MM you can also asign its delays to the loops youve put down, plus I think it looks cooler and isnt that what its all about?

• Members

For what it's worth, I've owned two DL-4s and I can tell you that the reliability problems seemed limited to a particular batch that came out years ago. You should be fine if you buy a new one. Also, either will work fine for bass because they don't effect the frequencies of the tones being processed. It all comes down to the feature set you prefer.

• Members

Of those two...I'd go for the DL-4. It's a much more versatile unit. A lot of bass players use them. I've never had any experience with either one on a personal level, but from reading reviews and looking at specs, I like the DL-4 better.

the Line 6 delays arent really that useful for a bass player, much better suited to a guitarist IMO.

:confused: You can customize everything in that pedal. It's a modeler...and it models the MM pedal to top it all off.

A ton of great, effects based players use it as well. Justin Meldal-Johnsen has one on his "live" board...and he uses a ton of pedals. It must do something right for him...

• Members

:confused:
You can customize everything in that pedal. It's a modeler...and it models the MM pedal to top it all off.

A ton of great, effects based players use it as well. Justin Meldal-Johnsen has one on his "live" board...and he uses a ton of pedals. It must do something right for him...

I just find that sending bass through delays not to my taste. Personally I like my bass to be the driving part of the bands/piece of musics sound, and I found that adding these effects take away from this. From what Ive got from the DL-4 it makes more atmospheric sounds, which arent really to my taste, but the MM has a much better loop function, something which I'd find certainly more useful, but I guess its the whole horses for courses thing. ;)

• Members

I just find that sending bass through delays not to my taste. Personally I like my bass to be the driving part of the bands/piece of musics sound, and I found that adding these effects take away from this. From what Ive got from the DL-4 it makes more atmospheric sounds, which arent really to my taste

I know exactly what you mean. I still want a delay, but I really only use effects for a small bit of color here and there.

Archived