Installed Tung Sol 12AX7's into SVT4 Pro Preamp.

Rootdogg

• Members

For the few who might care...

I dropped some Tung Sol 12AX7's into my SVT4 during a maintanence visit last week. Initial thoughts....

Very lovely when overdriven. The TS's took place of Sovtek tubes. The new tubes sound nice and warm and fuzzy when overdriven. No break up like the old tubes. Highs are very glassy. The overall sound of my amp sounds better. More headroom almost. More dimensions. My distortion pedals harmonics are really coming through now.

Go for it! :thu:

• Members

Well, I'm sure I could probably get them there. I just barely peak the gain when I play my cleans with normal dynamics. I haven't really pushed them to the point of break up. Maybe I will give it some serious gain and see what happens. :)

• Members

They are very nice tubes, I'm quite satisfied. My tech said based on construction alone they were a very solid upgrade over the Sovtek's.

I bought a lot of 4, so I have one extra. I am going to tear open my Guyatone tube tremolo pedal tomorrow, make the swap, and see what happens!

• Members

A
LONG
time.

Kindness is right. They last a VERY long time. Don't believe that you have to change them every 5 years or so, or you need matched pairs. It can't hurt to swap them out, but it really isn't necessary. The only time I would change mine is if I wanted to experiment with a different tube.

Archived