Starter Instructional Bass CD/DVD/book?

valentsgrif

• Members

Whats the best?

My kid is a piano student whose doing well, but bought himself a bass to fool around with. Got any advise for a 15 y/o kid to look at to get introduced to this instrument.

BTW he bought an Epiphone Embassey 4. One HB with a really nice neck and action.

• Members

I got started about 40yrs ago with a Mel Bay/Roger F. book.Back then the first book had a pink cover and book two's cover was the same only blue.If this is the same material I cant say I was all that impressed with it and doubt it would inspire anyone.If it's been brought up to date/improved on it might be worth a look.It was easy to follow with decent coverage of the basics but not much more.

• Members

Book looks formal and extensive, but will it inspire a kid with no bass expierence?

I used it, and went on to play for 32 years........

A method book is only part of the equation. Inspiring a kid to play bass means exposure to good music. Get the book, but take him to shows and clinics. Listen to a lot of music with him, especially his favorites. Play him a lot of your favorites. Give him ample opportunities to play with other people.

Archived