SWR Goliath 4x12

LoC

• Members

I have played some SWR stuff and I remember them sounding rpetty decent but I wanted y'alls take. I couldn't find any reviews after soem brief searching. I have an Ampeg 2x12 and 4x10 with an SVT-III Pro head. I'm decently satisfied but as always I'm always looking for bigger, badder cabs. I have also been looking for an Ampeg 4x12. I like deep, rumbling lows that are also tigh and punchy (I guess that kind of an oxymoron). The point is, at 800RMS (that what the listing says) and pushing some serious air (I also think its ported) do y'all think it's going to give me the deep lows of a B with a solid midrange akin to that of a Mesa?

• Members

Well, I intend to use a 4x12 as a bottom heavy cabinet but I like to get some midrange from my cabinets because I find that larger speakers add a nice grunt and grungy type of midrange as opposed to a clearer found found in smaller speaker cabinets.

• Members

SWR 412's are fantastic for what you're describing. They have all the deep lows a good B will ever need, have tight mids and great definition as well. These cabs also just have truckloads of grunt, and are the best cabs I've ever heard in a loud, dense band mix. Here's mine:

rig1a.JPG

By all means also ask Apendecto. He owns just about ever cab SWR has, including the 412, and can compare them all for you. Still, for growly, deep bass that can punch like Tyson, the SWR 412 is very hard to beat at any price.

• Members

Um, just a heads up. the SWR412 is one of the best cabs out there for bass, that I've heard :) It gets much better reviews than most SWR cabs with good reason. Personally I've spent a couple hours screwing with this cab and Dr. Bass edged it out only by virtue of being much lighter and a bit more flexible sonically.

You could definitely use the 412 over a 4x10/115 from most manufacturers, imho.

Archived