OT: Teaching in N. America

seraphim7s

• Members

Hey Thunderbroom, those salary expectations are much more reassuring! However, does anyone here have any exp of teaching in a private research based institution, that is to say, a university?

[EDIT] or a 'Liberal Arts College'? I am still in the process of finding out about the US higher education system. It seems a liberal arts college would offer the kind of courses I would be interested in teaching.

• Members

With or without overtime?

Very little overtime anymore. The Cleveland wastewater workers make even more than us poor suburbanites. The small town ones make the least but still make a living wage. The only problem is the hours if you're an operator like me. The best jobs are in industrial waste or the lab. They make a little less because I work holidays but theirs is 8-4 or 7:30 to 3:30.

• Members
Very little overtime anymore. The Cleveland wastewater workers make even more than us poor suburbanites. The small town ones make the least but still make a living wage. The only problem is the hours if you're an operator like me. The best jobs are in industrial waste or the lab. They make a little less because I work holidays but theirs is 8-4 or 7:30 to 3:30.

I was a boiler operator/industrial mechanic before I hung up the tools about 11 years ago. I don't miss working swing shift nor do I miss working weekends. I took a ~40% paycut to come here but have more than made up for it since then.
:)

• Members
I was a boiler operator/industrial mechanic before I hung up the tools about 11 years ago. I don't miss working swing shift nor do I miss working weekends. I took a ~40% paycut to come here but have more than made up for it since then.

That's good. I work straight afternoons now which pretty much takes me out of the steady band picture. But with 3 years and 6 weeks till retirement.....I'll start a business then and be done with shifts, too!!

Counts the days....

• Members

You could probably get on here at Marshall University in Huntington, WV (you wouldn't want to be here). We are forced into a large part-time staff because people use this university as a jumping board. The school is good, but I'm not a fan of the town.

• Members
final bump

Just because I haven't yet got much info about liberal arts colleges or private universities

One last try then ...

What is your subject?

Some fields have an insane number of applicants for each job, so the salary will be lower. Some the opposite.

• Members

You could probably get on here at Marshall University in Huntington, WV (you wouldn't want to be here). We are forced into a large part-time staff because people use this university as a jumping board. The school is good, but I'm not a fan of the town.

Go out Saturday night and get into a fight like the rest of the townies!

I work with a guy who grew up in a small WV town with a college. He talks about it so much I bet I could tell you the names of every street and every person in the town!

• Members

What is your subject?

Some fields have an insane number of applicants for each job, so the salary will be lower. Some the opposite.

I suppose my subject(s) will end up being classical / medieval Latin & French (lang & lit), linguistics, medieval culture & history.

• Members

Go out Saturday night and get into a fight like the rest of the townies!

I work with a guy who grew up in a small WV town with a college. He talks about it so much I bet I could tell you the names of every street and every person in the town!

I would get into a fight with the townies, but in this town, the college students are the townies (and many will just shoot you). Seriously, I love the University, but the town is complete {censored}. Marshall exists in a vacuum in the center of it all. No Marshall U would mean no Huntington. But the movie was cool (except Matthew McConnaughey because he sucked in the movie and was nothing like the actual coach)

• Members

I would get into a fight with the townies, but in this town, the college students are the townies (and many will just shoot you). Seriously, I love the University, but the town is complete {censored}. Marshall exists in a vacuum in the center of it all. No Marshall U would mean no Huntington. But the movie was cool (except Matthew McConnaughey because he sucked in the movie and was nothing like the actual coach)

I've heard some gunshot stories from WV oh yeah.....

• Members

I suppose my subject(s) will
end up
being classical / medieval Latin & French (lang & lit), linguistics, medieval culture & history.

Intense competition for teaching in a field like that. Very, very few jobs, and many qualified candidates for each spot.

Are you in position to be renowned in this field? Do you have a unique set of qualifications? Is your dissertation "hot"? This is what will get you a job.

I had a friend whose dissertation was in a very specific and hot aspect of Communist Russia. Political Science. In his 6th year, the Wall came down. Suddenly, he was no longer hot. And no longer Poli Sci.

Not to be discouraging; if you are truly called to this field, you should listen.

• Members

Intense competition for teaching in a field like that. Very, very few jobs, and many qualified candidates for each spot.

Are you in position to be renowned in this field? Do you have a unique set of qualifications? Is your dissertation "hot"? This is what will get you a job.

I had a friend whose dissertation was in a very specific and hot aspect of Communist Russia. Political Science. In his 6th year, the Wall came down. Suddenly, he was no longer hot. And no longer Poli Sci.

Not to be discouraging; if you are truly called to this field, you should listen.

Well, my BA is from Oxford University. I'm not sure if that means much when you're applying for an academic post.

At this point I am in the process of applying for a (taught) MA course. I am just trying to figure out job prospects. I would hate to make a massive financial (and emotional etc.) outlay only to find I could not get a teaching position in 5 years time.

[edit] and please bear in mind that I am 26 and my 'life plan' involves marriage, children and a reasonably comfortable existence. I can't throw myself into 5 years of intense study that will not be remunerated!

• Members

and please bear in mind that I am 26 and my 'life plan' involves marriage, children and a reasonably comfortable existence. I can't throw myself into 5 years of intense study that will not be remunerated!

Faculty brat here. My dad was an english professor when I was born, gradually made his way into administration. He told me that the competition for the Humanity jobs is brutal. He received a PhD in english from UCLA, along with 12 other people. Only 2 of 'em got jobs. He was one of 'em, but his post was in rural Kentucky.

I don't know about community college, but the vast majority of professors I know have a PhD in something, even if it's not their subject (I'm going to lunch today with a guy who has a degree in physics and teaches medieval storytelling).

• Members

$80,000 at a community college which is probably a good place to start. Some teachers work part time at first, too.

80K ?????

What community college have you worked for?

Divide that number in half and that's assuming you're going to get hired full time. Many more colleges are going the adjunct route (part time). The last three I worked for were at the national average of 68% of the staff being part time.

Archived