Bass Rig Troubles....advice?

Bassjunkie99

• Members

My Gear:

Lakland 5502 :thu: - the only part of my setup I'm content with

Older Hartke 4-10 (transporter w/ aluminum cones)

Older Hartke 350W head

Cabinet:

I have 1 blown speaker, but I can still go direct out and get a decent live sound. It's not completely blown, just a bit distorted. My question is if it would be worth putting new speakers (paper cones) in the existing cabinet or if I'd just be better off buying a new cabinet / speakers. If so, any suggestions for replacement speakers? I'd like to get some that can handle more power, as I will eventually upgrade the old Hartke head.

*I bought the rig used and had a new speaker jack installed about a year ago. Will I get better tonal response with a better cabinet?

Head:

I'm starting to have issues with the input jack. I know this is fixable, but I eventually want something with more power & rack ears. Ampeg is not in the budget, but I'd like something with at least 500-600 watts. Is there anything in the $500 range worth buying?

• Members

Amp: Used Ampeg is definitely in the budget, if that's the type of sound you want. Also, GBE-600 if you can find one (I may have one for sale soon ;)) or GK 1001 as suggested above.

Cab: Hartke does not get a lot of love on here, so I get the impression the consensus will be get a new cab as well. Fortunately for you, there are lots of inexpensive cabs that work great and sound good, and aren't Hartke. Peavey, Aguilar, Avatar, Ampeg (if you keep an eye out), GK, SWR......

• Members

Yeah, I'm not so much of a 'budget rig" guy myself, but it is what it is for the time being. Eventually I want an ampeg SVT-810E & an SVT4 Pro Head, but that's going to have to wait a while. I decided to spend my money on a new bass a few months ago. The best I could describe the music is "mellow rock" with soul / funk influence and some 'jam band' type moments. I love the Ampeg sound, not fond of the metal cones in the Hartke....I just wasn't sure if a new head and some speaker upgrades would get me where I want to be, at least temporarily

I'm not particularly fond of the GK sound. I want something in between the warmth of an all tube head and the mid range punch of some heads.....

some songs below

http://www.myspace.com/beggarscaravan

• Members

Yeah, I'm not so much of a 'budget rig" guy myself, but it is what it is for the time being. Eventually I want an ampeg SVT-810E & an SVT4 Pro Head, but that's going to have to wait a while. I decided to spend my money on a new bass a few months ago. The best I could describe the music is "mellow rock" with soul / funk influence and some 'jam band' type moments. I love the Ampeg sound, not fond of the metal cones in the Hartke....I just wasn't sure if a new head and some speaker upgrades would get me where I want to be, at least temporarily

I'm not particularly fond of the GK sound. I want something in between the warmth of an all tube head and the mid range punch of some heads.....

some songs below

http://www.myspace.com/beggarscaravan

Warmth + mid punch = Eden my friend! Easy. :)

Archived