Changing strings on an ABG... small question.

The Unknown

• Members

Change the strings one at a time.

Take all the tension off the string, then remove the bridge pin by gently grasping the ball end with a pliers and gently remove the pin with a lifitng and rocking motion.

Insert the ball end of the new string into the hole in the bridge. When you reset the pin, makes sure the string is in the open groove at the front of the string, with the groove facing toward the headstock..

Tune the string back to original pitch. It's a good idea to keep your thumb on the bridge pin head, as it might try to work its way loose as you're tuning. If it does, take the tension off the string, reseat the pin, and try again. It may take a try or two before the string settles into the 'sweet spot.'

It's a good idea to have some spare pins on hand.

Repeat for the other strings.

• Members

You know those string winders you see?

ux_a06031700ux0085_ux_g.jpg

You can see a little notch out of the place the machine head goes (on the far side in that picture). That's for pulling out those end pieces.

• Members

You know those string winders you see?

ux_a06031700ux0085_ux_g.jpg

You can see a little notch out of the place the machine head goes (on the far side in that picture). That's for pulling out those end pieces.

Yup - and if they're a bit stubborn,I use a large pick to protect the saddle from getting dented while I leverage the pin out... Using pliers is a sure way to leave marks on something, in my experience...

- georgestrings

Archived