I currently own no tubes!!!!!

James Hart

• Members
The acoustic crossover point is at 320Hz. The only reason that this works is that we're using a very sensitive midrange driver (98dB, probably 101 in the box), relative to the other drivers, so it makes effective use of the 5 or so Watts available from the 300B. I don't think that this approach or any SET approach, really, is practical for bass amplification. It just won't go loud enough for stage use. Maybe for a studio setup.

Right - my meaning is more that I intend to do tube top and ss sub, but I'm thinking that I may overlap the lowest octave (40-80) as that is generally under-represented in most bass programs - or at least have the option of overlap, with a hard cut-off as an option.

I appreciate the explanations. :thu:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'd be a bit leery of buying a tube amp sight unseen - unless it was from, or checked out by someone I know, or with references... I keep hoping one will pop up on Daddy's, or Guitar Center's used gear pages - then, I'll have it shipped in with minimal to no risk...

- georgestrings

My Alphabass was $139 with rack case at Daddys. It had a funky switch and mismatched tubes. The week after I bought it, I returned it under their basic "free" warranty, got the switch fixed, amp cleaned and retubed for free in 2 weeks. Tough to beat that. On the other hand, I will never pay to have an amp serviced there again - they seem to prioritize the warranty work. My 400+ sat on the shelf for months before they finally got to after much nagging, and they couldn't even check the bias.

The problem now with Daddys is that the web site used gear listing is updated perhaps once a month. I have traded stuff in and it has taken that long to show up on the new used gear section. The good stuff is now sold before it is ever posted. If your local guys have their act together they should be able to search their computer system for you, the days of checking their site every day and calling the store when they open are gone. I haven't bought anything from Daddys since the "upgrade" to the web site, and I used to be picking something up every week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i currently own 5 tubes. 3 12ax7s and 2 6l6s in a guitar amp that i only use to plug into the "b" channel of my lead guitarists floor pod xt live or some {censored} like that. the drummer an i use the amp pointed towards us on stage as an extra monitor that i can control without touching the board. i think the tone coming out of that amp is much better than his solid state marshall amp. id love to own a bass tube amp sometime soon.

Archived