Update: Cab Facing Backwards

Thunderbroom

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah, but it doesn't angle it up as much as I want it too.

Remove the feet and put velcro on the bottom of the Neo-pack.

You'll be able to lean it back as far as you like.

Use 14" Fender "tilt-back" legs if you want to go custom, portable and compact:

0990714000_xl.jpg

• Members
Why not do this?

Take a monitor and put it in front of you and have it run from your amp. So. Basically the monitor is your bass cab for the day. You can have another monitor for everything else.

Would that work?

That's exactly what I'm doing in my original post. The PR12 is one of my band's monitors that I own.
;)

• Members

The PR is probably farting because the cabinet is unloading, I think T-broom is correct in EQ'ing the lows out. The IEM is a good idea, but, over on the live sound forum they seriously discourage the use of only one bud. Apparently you will turn up the bud around 6db higher than the volume in the ambient (no-bud) ear. This has the potential for hearing loss. If the club is very large and the main mix is balanced, (small venues the PA will supplement the stage sound and sound very vocal heavy, light on drums guitar etc) a mix of the main through the mono as mentioned earlier, or better yet a matrix out would work well. You might want to go to live sound and hit-up the smart guys. (I am not one of them)

FWIW if this is going to be in your regular rotation the GK wedge or something similar may be worthwhile. I am a little interested in Mesa's walkabout, it has a passive radiator on the bottom and is supposed to send the sound everywhere.

• Members

FWIW as both a bass player and a FOH engineer, my preference is to always have all cabinets face the players. You get a band that comes in with a bass rig of 2-15s with a 4-10 on top, two guitarists with a full stacks and expect you to give the house a good mix? Make it so you and your guys can hear it on the stage and leave the FOH to the engineer. How can you possibly know if your guitar or bass is loud/not loud enough out front where you're not?

• Members

I have a heavy plastic tool box that is about two feet tall. I use it for carrying all my stuff. I also use it to set my SVT 410HLF on top of. This brings it up closer to my ears, I play more quietly, The sound is great, And it lets the FOH do it's job.

• Members

While it may not make practical sense, it seems not only are the owners concerned about excessive stage volume (which they should be), they also seem to be concerned with appearances. Having my cab jacked up in the air on a stand or a table or something else is not going to change the fact that I can not have my amp facing forward if it appears to be "large".

As of right now, I'm going to use the setup in the first picture and may add a Galaxy Audio AS1000 IEM like burdizzos uses. If I get the IEM I'll run a separate DI for it and learn to use one ear bud and to keep the volume low so that I don't go deaf. It seems that this would be convenient when we're playing some of the larger fest stages that we'll be playing as well since I can roam the stage, keep my stage volume low, and still be able to hear myself.

• Members
This venue delivers both.

It's a case where the poor acoustics in the room and some number of unreasonable bands have made the owner take a hard and fast rule that is certainly overly broad to accomplish the goal. Oh well, the rules are set and the only thing left to do is solve the problem of self monitoring on stage.

I said before in the initial that I very commonly play with my cabinet facing me. I find it to be very helpful in reducing the sonic blast in front of the stage. Anything Tbroom can do to get the cabinet pointed at his head will make this plan a success. Supplemented with IEMs and there is no chance of failure.
:thu:

True enough, but I think I'd have to evaluate whether the gig was worth the hassle of spending money to make my rig fit a set of ill-conceived rules (I know what my answer would be ;)).

I hate having a cabinet face me. Sidewashing, I can live with, but I can't stand having it face me. Call me old fashioned if you will... :D

This thread brings up another pet peeve of mine: If the acoustics in the venue are so poor, and it's the biggest party spot on the South Side of Chicago (why do I feel like singing "Leroy Brown?") the management of the club should damned well do something about it. Bar owners will always do everything short of actually addressing the problem in this situation. The root of the problem is room acoustics. I've been here dozens of times. Management complains about bad sound, so they spend $100k on PA gear and they still have bad sound. They go through 10 different sound guys, still bad sound. They start imposing draconian rules on bands and still have bad sound. But no matter how many times they're told that the source of the problem is the room, they almost never listen. "Acoustic treatment is too expensive!" They'll cough up $100k for new PA equipment but they can't deal with $25k for effective acoustic treatments. It boggles the mind. :freak:

Sorry for the rant.... back on topic:

TB: There are a lot of good suggestions for tilt-back options in this thread for your 112 cabinet. It's not difficult to build something, either. This should solve the issue as best as it can be solved.

• Members
T

This thread brings up another pet peeve of mine: If the acoustics in the venue are so poor, and it's the biggest party spot on the South Side of Chicago (why do I feel like singing "Leroy Brown?") the management of the club should damned well do something about it. Bar owners will always do everything short of actually addressing the problem in this situation. The root of the problem is room acoustics. I've been here dozens of times. Management complains about bad sound, so they spend $100k on PA gear and they still have bad sound. They go through 10 different sound guys, still bad sound. They start imposing draconian rules on bands and still have bad sound. But no matter how many times they're told that the source of the problem is the room, they almost never listen. "Acoustic treatment is too expensive!" They'll cough up $100k for new PA equipment but they can't deal with $25k for effective acoustic treatments. It boggles the mind.
:freak:

yeah sad but true

• Members
yeah sad but true

It's amazing. I did a lot of PA install consults and in a lot of cases, the bars didn't really need a better/bigger PA, they primarily needed room treatment. I remember telling one place that they should take the $30k they were going to spend on new speakers and put it into acoustic treatment for a very live room because that would make the speakers they had (which were fine) sound much better in the room. I got blank stares. They eventually bought the speakers and then complained that they didn't fix the problem: Which was exactly what I told them during the consult. The room still sucks for sound, but they do have a killer PA. :freak:

• Members

Lots of good idears being discussed here!

Why not put you amp on the side of the stage facing in? We used to play this way all the time. Guitrarist stage left with amp facing in (DI to the board) bass stage right with amp facing in (DI to the board).

Makes for a very clean stage look. we controled our instrument volume and it was not projected into the audience.

Seem a shame not to use your favoite rig. I'll bet the sound guy will be amenable to this set up.

Just my two cents worth.........

PD

Archived