OT: Anyone here a whiz-kid with Outlook and GMail?

venturawest

• Members

so here's what i need to do: i'm leaving my job. see ya. buh-bye. as a result, my work email account will be eliminated. so i opened a gmail account yesterday and am telling everyone to start using the g-mail account.

however, i really like the outlook interface and organization systems. so i'm going to sync outlook and gmail, as described on the g-mail website. that should work so that all my new emails to my g-mail site are readable in outlook 2007, right?

here's the other kicker. i want to be able to still have access to all the emails that i've accumulated over the past few years. so i saved all my .pst files from my computer at work.

will i be able to upload all those .pst files and have access to them using outlook on my home laptop so i can still read them and use them, and at the same time, have all new emails from g-mail coming through outlook 2007?

hope my question makes sense. if anyone can provide insight or point me in the right directions, i'd be very grateful.

sincerely,

one computer illiterate dude.

• Members

All you need to do is install Outlook on your home computer and set it up via how Gmail tells you. All of your Gmail will come through Outlook. If you've already got Outlook installed, just set it up...it's super easy.

Once that is all set up, just upload your .pst and you should be all set.

I think you've got everything all figured out...you just need that little kick to say you've got it right.

• Members

Does Gmail work w/ Outlook?

I know it doesn't w/ Outlook Express... for
free
, anyhow, unless they've changed it since I've been using Thunderbird.

Which is ok, I guess, but I still like OE...

They used to charge?? Shouldn't it work pretty much equally across all email platforms? I mean, its just easy. You can set it up either POP or IMAP (which is slicker than snot). I did it in Thunderbird, but I can't see how you couldn't do it just as easily in outlook or OE. :confused:

• Members

Outlook Express setup with GMAIL

Welcome to our information center for Outlook Express. The tabs above have information on setting up Outlook Express to work with Gmail, as well as troubleshooting information for the common problems users face.

Getting Started

If you're setting up Outlook Express to work with Gmail for the first time, you'll need to:

Enable POP in Gmail.

Configure your Outlook Express client.

Verify Settings

If you're unsure whether your POP client settings are correct, you can double-check them here.

Common Errors

If you're experiencing an error while using Outlook, you can browse our page of common errors to find a solution.

Troubleshooting

If you're still having problems, follow our step-by-step instructions to try to resolve your issue.

Other POP Issues

Some POP problems are not specific to Outlook, so if you're able to send and receive successfully most of the time and our Common Errors and Troubleshooting tabs haven't addressed your issue, check our Other Issues tab for topics like accessing Gmail from multiple POP clients or being unable to download messages you sent to yourself.

• Members

I swear I'm not making it up, I promise. I was a lifelong OE user and hated not being able to use it!

Oh I believe you! They only released IMAP support recently (a few months ago I think). I was doing POP for awhile, but it certainly wasn't right when I got my account.

• Members

I've been out of the game a while, but what's the big diff between POP and IMAP?
:(

POP pretty much just downloads your email straight from Gmail, you can get it to keep copies on the server, but it is like having 2 different copies of the same email.

With IMAP, everything is synched, if you read an email in OE, it'll be marked as read when you go into Gmail, and vice versa. Same if you delete an email in gmail, it'll be deleted from your OE inbox as well. I just find it keeps things cleaner, as I move from Thunderbird to Gmail often - on different computers.

• Members

POP pretty much just downloads your email straight from Gmail, you can get it to keep copies on the server, but it is like having 2 different copies of the same email.

With IMAP, everything is synched, if you read an email in OE, it'll be marked as read when you go into Gmail, and vice versa. Same if you delete an email in gmail, it'll be deleted from your OE inbox as well. I just find it keeps things cleaner, as I move from Thunderbird to Gmail often - on different computers.

Gotcha.

I think I have POP setup for my work Gmail and personal ATM.

I probably will setup my work as IMAP and personal as POP, as sometimes I like to save stuff on my drive even if I leave my Gmail webpage open during th day.

Archived