OT: Speeding tickets in other states....

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

So on the way back from seeing Tom Waits in El Paso, I got a speeding ticket in New Mexico. I live in CA, so I know I have to pay it, but I've heard that I may not have to got to traffic school because it won't go on my record (this does not seem legit to me).

Does anybody have any experience with this? Should I go to traffic school (obviously via the internet)?

• Members

So on the way back from seeing Tom Waits in El Paso, I got a speeding ticket in New Mexico. I live in CA, so I know I have to pay it, but I've heard that I may not have to got to traffic school because it won't go on my record (this does not seem legit to me).

Does anybody have any experience with this? Should I go to traffic school (obviously via the internet)?

Don't know much about the circumstances that you're exactly in but beware. Recently, a close friend of mine had his birthday at the end of May and he had to renew his driver's license. He's not commercial of any sort and has no endorsements other than to drive a car. When he went to the BMV here in Ohio, they told him he had blocks on him in TX and TN that prevented him from getting it renewed. He had to confirm/prove that he was not the individual in question as it only came up as name alone on the records. From what I gather it was a LOT of hassle. Looks like a lot of state systems are interacting with each other a lot more nowadays.

• Members

Most states have reciprocal point laws and share the info if you've been ticketed. If you have to attend school, you'll be notified. If you check your state's DMV site you can probably find out if they share ticket info with NM.

Would I have been notified when I got pulled over? The guy really didn't do a good job of explaining anything except that I was going too fast.

and I was wondering about the traffic school because (atleast in CA) traffic school can take the point away from your license if it was not within 18 months of the last violation.

• CMS Author

Would I have been notified when I got pulled over? The guy really didn't do a good job of explaining anything except that I was going too fast.

and I was wondering about the traffic school because (atleast in CA) traffic school can take the point away from your license if it was not within 18 months of the last violation.

Notified of what? That the points you just got would be transferred? Nope. You aren't convicted until you either plead guilty or are found guilty in a trial. So there are no points assessed until and unless that happens.

• Members

Most states have reciprocal point laws and share the info if you've been ticketed. If you have to attend school, you'll be notified. If you check your state's DMV site you can probably find out if they share ticket info with NM.

Quick summary: There are two interstate agreements that the states have entered into regarding licenses and driving records, most belong to both, and the only state that doesn't belong to either (last I checked, which was a year ago or so) is Michigan.

• Members

Well I think I am going to pay it because knowing my luck with things like this it will come back and bite me in the ass.

My concern at this moment is whether or not I will be able to go to traffic school to get this point that will most likely be put on my record off.

Yall have to forgive me of my ignorance, this is the first real "ticket" that I got (let alone an interstate) in the 10 years of me driving. I went to court for a red light camera ticket and got it taken down to just traffic school, so I didn't really learn the system.

• Members

I have personal experience with this.

If you don't pay it, it will get transferred to your county. its simple really. The best thing you can do is talk to people in that county/city and find out the best way to fight a ticket.

• Members

I have personal experience with this.

If you don't pay it, it will get transferred to your county. its simple really. The best thing you can do is talk to people in that county/city and find out the best way to fight a ticket.

But if I do pay it, it won't come as a point on my record?

I was going to give good old NM a call tomorrow, to see what the deal is. I do have a tendency to overcomplicate things.

• Members

if its a point violation it will affect your record regardless of where you get it. {censored} dude, just get a lawyer

Sorry dude, I just didn't get the whole point system, the answer above yours was what I was goin' for... {censored} dude, not everybody is a genius.

• Members

I've had tickets in other states that counted for points on my DL, and I've had them that didn't. Some places have an online "traffic school" that will prevent it from counting as points on your record. It's all just a money racket.

• Members

Whatever hassles you have with respect to this speeding ticket should be more than made up for by the fact that you got to see Tom Waits live.
:D

Traffic school? You can get points back by going to traffic school? Wow. No such thing here.

Oh believe me it is more than covered.

Yeah every 18 months you can keep 1 minor violation that JUST occurred from hitting your record. Don't realy know if that is for all states... but I guess not. I just trying to make sure that my insurance doesn't go up.

• CMS Author

If you Google "California DMV points" you can find links that explain how your state's system works.

From what I'm reading, 1-point infractions are automatically cleared after 3 years. It sounds as if you can attent school to get a 1-point infraction cleared.

It doesn't sound like fighting the ticket would help in this system, unless you've got a really ironclad reason to be found not-guilty. Being from out of state puts you at an automatic disadvantage in fighting it.

• Members

If you Google "California DMV points" you can find links that explain how your state's system works.

From what I'm reading, 1-point infractions are automatically cleared after 3 years. It sounds as if you can attent school to get a 1-point infraction cleared.

It doesn't sound like fighting the ticket would help in this system, unless you've got a really ironclad reason to be found not-guilty. Being from out of state puts you at an automatic disadvantage in fighting it.

Yeah thats what I thought.

I don't think I am going to fight for $80.

• CMS Author

Yeah thats what I thought.

I don't think I am going to fight for $80.

That's cheap. Just pay it. You'll pay more to drive back to NM to have your day in court. And the most you will do is get it reduced to a lesser offense, at best. Since CA has a 1-point system, that doesn't help you (some states assess increasing points for higher speeds over the speed limit, and have a correspondingly higher point threshold for school, suspension, and revocation).

• Members

That's cheap. Just pay it. You'll pay more to drive back to NM to have your day in court. And the most you will do is get it reduced to a lesser offense, at best. Since CA has a 1-point system, that doesn't help you (some states assess increasing points for higher speeds over the speed limit, and have a correspondingly higher point threshold for school, suspension, and revocation).

He won't have to drive back. He can send in a signed affadavit. I recommend always pleading not guilty to traffic citations.

Archived