I am vacationing in Montreal next week. Any advice?

justinbass

• Members

You're from NJ so I don't imagine much phases you as far as traffic goes...but be {censored}ing careful. I have never seen as many insane drivers anywhere as I have in Montreal. Beautiful city, though.

• Members

You're from NJ so I don't imagine much phases you as far as traffic goes...but be {censored}ing careful. I have never seen as many insane drivers anywhere as I have in Montreal. Beautiful city, though.

Haha thanks. I drive all day and am used to lunatics on the road. The plan is to park the car when I get there, and to not use it again until I leave the city to go home. :thu:

• Members

5 years ago, we stayed at the Intercontinental. There was a pub that was immediately behind it that served 'steerburgers' that are some of the best I've ever had - and I'm from Texas.

Other things I enjoyed were the Biodome, the Mosaicultures tour (which may have been seasonal), the underground mall (drink beer and stay comfy - the weather was horrific that day we went), Tsirco was a nice jazz bistro we wernt to. We also did a dinner cruise that kicked ass.

Save some time to walk around downtown; that's awesome as well.

• Members

Obviously you have never been to Orlando.

Insane people would be a welcome break.

• Members

There is a street in the old section of Montreal that is lined with great clubs.

I don't remember the name though.

We heard some awesome bands there doing a mix of rock, blues, and French rock/country/folk music.:love::love::love:

It was major league awesome!!!!

The women were unbelievably hot and friendly too.:thu:

Actually, everyone we met in Montreal were really nice.:thu:

I can't wait to go back, but next time in warmer weather.:idea:

• Members

I'm still not exactly sure how Montreal drivers manage to have one hand on the horn, the other out the window, middle digit extended at the same time and still navigate brutal traffic.... I actually enjoy driving in Montreal, it's kinda like a video game. :D

If you're staying downtown, pretty much anything you want to see is accessible by Metro. It's way less hassle than driving.

The street Walkerci is refering to is Rue Crescent. West end of downtown, off Ste Catherine, near the Bell Centre.

Check out the Ste Denis area for lots and lots of awesome restaurants as well as down in old Montreal.

Go to Schwartz's for smoked meat sandwiches. That's on Ste. Laurent. if you go lunchtime, you will wait in line to get in. It's worth the wait.

Go to the top of Mount Royal, the view is unbelieveable.

Go to Charlie Biddle's jazz club for ribs and jazz. I don't remember what street it's on, sorry. Charlie was a great old jazz bassist who died a couple of years ago.

You should go walk through the old city and make a point of seeing Notre Dame cathedral.

There's a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten. Montreal's a great town. Lots of stuff to see and do.

• Members

Great city! You're picking a beauty time of year to go too.

St. Denis is a wonderful street to stroll and explore and so is St. Laurent. Lots of bars, bistros, cafes, stores, etc. Get the best smoked meat in the world at Schwartz's on St. Laurent. THAT is a necessary visit. Get bagels at Fairmount or St. Viature. The old part of the city is worth checking out, a slice of the 18th century, but it's really touristy. Check out the Notre Dame Cathedral while you're down there.

There are two huge markets, Atwater and Jean Talon. The former is kind of ritzy, the latter is a foodie's dream and the best place to stock up on real food so you're not completely surviving on restaurants. Take the bus north on St. Laurent to get there. If you're into exotic food, fine breads and really good cheese, Jean Talon rocks. Check out the selection of Quebec artisanal cheeses and haul some of those back to Jersey.

In many restaurants you can bring your own bottle and they'll charge you a nominal corkage fee. Good deal!

St. Catherine is pretty bustling, but it's a bit of a {censored} hole in parts. Great if you're into "Canadian Style Lap Dancing".

On thing I'd recommend is hopping in your car and driving up the St. Lawrence to Quebec City for a couple of days. That place is a gem. Basically a 17th century French city. They just celebrated their 400th birthday this past week.

Anyway, hope this helps. Love that town. If I spoke French I'd move there in a heartbeat.

• Members

+1,000! The best ever!

photo2.jpg

I hauled several pounds of that back, along with 4 doz Fairmount bagels, to Toronto this winter. Made friends and influenced people.

One funky place to check out on St. Laurent down the hill from the plateau toward the old city is the Montreal Pool Room. That place is like stepping back into the '20s. They sell steamies and frites, cheap. Good poutine too.

Archived