mesa 2x12 or 4x10

b_ryceeeee

• Members

im pretty sure ill be going for the 2x12 but im just wondering which would actually do better for rock, r&b, and reggae. i pretty much dig the tones that ben kenney of incubus gets and daryl jenifer of bad brains.

Rock: 410

R&B: 212

Reggae: 212

I like my Genz Benz 212 for rock stuff, though, but primarily because it can handle a low B, but with a 4-banger, I might be persuaded to go to a 410...

• Members

Right. Because 18" speakers have such similar characteristics to 10" speakers. I get your box size jive but I disagree that speaker size doesn't affect tone.

C7

Depends on the box size. That 18" could be tuned as a sub, as they're often used, or it could be placed in a much smaller box that rolled off at a higher frequency, creating a cab with more of a midrange emphasis. Just look at Bag End stuff-a number of their cabinets use 15" and 18" speakers and have zero deep bass or any of the other characteristics you'd typically associate with a speaker of that size. They're all about the midrange. Similarly, how do you explain the Acme stuff, which goes way down into the fundamental range, but uses 10" speakers?

There is some difference in the physical response of the cones due to size that is definitely perceptible, and I'm not saying that the Mesas in question will sound identical. However, my personal experience with a number of cabs tends to suggest that the box plays a much bigger role in the tone than the speaker size.

• Members

Right. Because 18" speakers have such similar characteristics to 10" speakers. I get your box size jive but I disagree that speaker size doesn't affect tone.

C7

There are several things that affect the tone more than driver size. Get the one that sounds best to you.

• Members

Depends on the box size. That 18" could be tuned as a sub, as they're often used, or it could be placed in a much smaller box that rolled off at a higher frequency, creating a cab with more of a midrange emphasis. Just look at Bag End stuff-a number of their cabinets use 15" and 18" speakers and have zero deep bass or any of the other characteristics you'd typically associate with a speaker of that size. They're all about the midrange. Similarly, how do you explain the Acme stuff, which goes way down into the fundamental range, but uses 10" speakers?

There is some difference in the physical response of the cones due to size that is definitely perceptible, and I'm not saying that the Mesas in question will sound identical. However, my personal experience with a number of cabs tends to suggest that the box plays a much bigger role in the tone than the speaker size.

Exactly.:thu: Musicians listen with their eyes, too.

• Members

I wouldn't disagree there, however, the speaker size does play in, especially when using smaller drivers and lower-tuned strings. I have yet to play ANY cab with 10" drivers that doesn't box off the low B put out from my Warwick (single MM pup). I like to run the bass output hot (volume @ 8-10), and the amp does the work for the volume level. Past about 5 on my GB, most 10" speakers start to clip on open low B's.

I'm sure I could remedy this with a compressor, but I like being able to use dynamics in my playing...

• Members

There are several things that affect the tone more than driver size. Get the one that sounds best to you.

The EQ on your amp affects your tone more than the size of the drivers, I get that, but let's face it, a 2x15 isn't going to sound like a 4x10 when you play through them both at the same EQ settings with the same amp and bass.

If there was no appreciable difference, we wouldn't ever have threads like this, and we wouldn't have near-uniform sizes in cabs.

C7

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

so i think that i might be going with a little more portable rig as my band is not playing any shows because the guitar player and drummer have been just busy with other things. so i was thinking of getting 2 mesa 1x12's so i can use one to play an acoustic show i do with my friend and for practicing and then when i start playing with a band again i can use both cabs to play. what i was wondering is what are the mesa 1x12's rated at and what size venue's they would be able to cover?

Archived