Anyone running old tube heads for a bass rig? What cab(s) are you using?

NoirAbattoir

• Members

Oooh, the Soundcity 120 must have been a monster. As for old ampegs, I've been there. I used to run a V-4 head into a 4x12 as a guitar rig way back when. I would put a distortion in front of that thing and it became a freight train.

I'm planning on running an RC Boost/Preamp to add some extra EQ options, but I'm pretty sure the lower gain input will give some serious headroom and tube tone at stunn volumes.

• Moderators

1979 Ampeg SVT into a pair of Acme Low B2s. 1977 Ampeg V-4B into a custom made 1x15 + midrange (woodwork and aesthetics by LDS, drivers and crossover by me). A blackface Fender Twin Reverb clone I built as a head into the same custom cab. A Fender Tweed Deluxe clone I built into the same custom cabinet.

I expect to build myself a Marshall 1959 clone (100 watt head) starting shortly. If so, I'll have to rebuild the Fender 2x12 sealed cabinet I have here from 1967. It needs new drivers and some cosmetic work. That pairing, if done right (and don't I always!), may be incredible. :thu:

Then there's that '70's Ampeg B25-B in amazing condition I can get a sweet deal on... :facepalm:

Archived