Thoughts on karaoke type recordings

• Members

Hey...I'm a singer looking to get some jobs, nothing too big but just wanting to start trying to make a little living out of my favorite thing to do. Do you think demos with karaoke type recordings (like something I've made with garage band or this karaoke recorder would do an ok job of showing people my voice for parties, dinners, etc?

Also do you think I could use the backup tracks for the parties or do I need a band?

• Members

If you want to promote your voice and find some clients, the best way would be using instrumental tracks of songs in wav or mp3 (not karaoke) and mixing it with your vocal. That would sound the best and the closest to original songs.

In general, people prefer to hire band to single person but if you sing alone, you can be much cheaper. :) That argument people also like :)

• Members

Hey...I'm a singer looking to get some jobs, nothing too big but just wanting to start trying to make a little living out of my favorite thing to do. Do you think demos with karaoke type recordings (like something I've made with garage band or this
would do an ok job of showing people my voice for parties, dinners, etc?

Also do you think I could use the backup tracks for the parties or do I need a band?

I know a couple people who make a very good living as pro karaoke singers. These people are not hacks either. They are in demand.. make great money and are very good entertainers that do pack the same venues week after week, year after year. One of them sang back up vocals for reba so trust me she is no slouch. They dont do the typical keraoke deal where they let the general public sing. They just use backtracks and the K machine. they prolly make as more or more money a week than the full time band guys. Yea they are that good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, that sounded great! I couldn't hear the music very well, though. What was your recording setup?

I live in Japan, where we have private karaoke "studios." When I want to do some recording, I bring either a portable recorder (a Zoom PS-04) or my laptop along. I use backing tracks in mp3+g form (the g stands for graphics) which are widely available. They're actually converted from CD+G (or CDG) format. I use Adobe Audition for effects and mixing. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

As for performing, as cool as it is to see a live band, it's so much easier to use karaoke tracks. You don't have to worry about everyone's schedule, splitting up the money, learning new songs, or whether the guitarist has had a few too many that evening. It's also much easier in terms of equipment. You can make do with a mic, a laptop and a compact PA.

Good luck with everything! If you have any questions, let me know.

• Members

As the general publics taste in music sinks lower the demand for cheap non-musician based musical entertainment naturally rises.With the Idol shows I think it may have bottomed out . They always seem to come up with a way to make it even worse though so what you want to do may be in demand for a long time. At least until the brain-dead who like it become fully dead or sicken of it. The latter is unlikely because people usually dont change. So follow your dream of singing along with a computer.

Archived